: SageTV purchased by Google

Pages : [1] 2

topherpaquette
2011-06-18, 11:24 PM
According to SageTV's twitter account and homepage SageTV has been purchased by Google. This could be a huge step in GoogleTV becoming more of a standard in HTPC in the future.

http://sagetv.com/index.html

MarcP
2011-06-19, 12:13 AM
I hope it doesn't turn out like when Yahoo bought Meedio. That was a big fiasco that went nowhere and flopped. Then again it's Google.

timmy1
2011-06-19, 12:36 AM
Yikes. I've put my eggs into the SageTV basket so hopefully this turns out alright, but I'm not encouraged by the fact that the store has already been taken down.

Tikker
2011-06-19, 01:08 PM
Holy cow

Didn't see that coming. I've tinkered with sage over the years, but never really was committed to it. Never felt the polish level was there

Curious to see what happens now

audacity
2011-06-19, 01:41 PM
I haven't spent a lot of money on SageTV products (I purchased the SageTV "Media Center" software and two client licenses), but I'm concerned that there is no statement to customers to reassure us about our existing installs.

It could turn out that my transition from Windows 7 Media Center to SageTV will be short lived.

stampeder
2011-06-19, 01:55 PM
SageTV is already a great product so with Google's work to polish it and expand it (I'm already thinking seamless YouTube, Picasa, and Google Voice integration) this will be quite an option for HTPCers. Given Microsoft's famous disregard for Canadian users of MCE regarding OTA this might goad the Windows team into actually caring. If it doesn't, SageTV will be the HTPC product of choice.

ScaryBob
2011-06-19, 04:08 PM
Taking the web site down is a strange action for a company that wants to continue a product. I hope Google continues to develop SageTV. OTOH, Google may see SageTV as a low profit product with good technology. Google can afford to simply gut Sage of its technology and kill the SageTV product in order to improve it's own position in that marketplace. I've seen similar things happen several times, including companies I've worked at.

It's no secret that big business, studios especially, want PVRs killed off so they can make more money on renting or streaming video. Companies like SageTV are an easy target for takeover in order to help achieve that goal.

Fonceur
2011-06-19, 06:03 PM
Taking the web site down is a strange action for a company that wants to continue a product.They haven't taken down the web site... They stopped selling their current product, which makes sense until it gets re-branded or the plans become clearer...

MarcP
2011-06-19, 06:09 PM
They haven't taken down the web site... They stopped selling their current product

They did more than that. They stopped all support and removed all information about their products (even the extenders). In fact, they removed everything from their site. I'm surprised the forums are still up, but I somehow don't like that's going to last long.

Current beta version of SageTV recently entered RC status and it looks like it may never be released.

Wayne
2011-06-20, 12:14 AM
IMHO this is devastatingly bad news and is likely to turn out the same as Meedio. I have invested over $1000 in SageTV with 6 extenders plus two server licenses and my current Sage system is AWESOME and is the culmination of many false starts (TiVo, XP MCE, Win7 MCE, BeyondTV)

I really don't understand why Google would buy Sage as the things that Sage does well, don't really fit in Google. Sage didn't have a great UI (at least not until V7) but it was great and doing what customers wanted and providing an excellent client-server architecture that worked well if you wanted a centralized system that could deliver to many TVs.

Sage had no DRM on its recordings and was very good at being on the bleeding edge of adopting hardware like the HD-PVR, a device which the industry can't be too happy about as it exploits the analog hole for HD capture.

Sage was also very good at making their product customizable and extendable with plugins. The PC based PVR is really a niche product for geeks and is unlikely to see mass adoption - therefore why is Google interested. Even Microsoft appears to be abandoning this space as they seem to be pulling back from MCE more and more.

Many of the things that Sage allowed you to do were not illegal but they were certainly not things that Hollywood was happy about and that is one of the reasons why Sage was better than MS' MCE - it didn't pose lots of restrictions on you.

The other strange thing is that recording TV is likely yesterday's technology as streaming is likely the way of the future.

blueroomelectro
2011-06-20, 12:22 AM
I too use SageTV but never upgraded from version 6. Just great software, I hope Google keeps it going.

Wayne
2011-06-20, 12:27 AM
I fail to see how this acquisition makes sense for Google.

The key distinguising factors for Sage were:
A proper client-server architecture.
Real-time support for new hardware like HD-PVR.
Platform independent (Win, Linux, Mac).
Good hardware extenders.
No DRM
Extensibility of UI and functionality with plugins.

I don't see how these are that important for Google and why they couldn't have developed something from scratch very quickly with the resources they could throw at this.

It really remionds me of (1) Meedio and (2) WebGuide (you former MCE users will remember this)

MarcP
2011-06-20, 12:29 AM
I fail to see how this acquisition makes sense for Google.

Easier to reach the top if you kill the competition on its way for bigger things.

blueroomelectro
2011-06-20, 12:31 AM
Just thinking that SageTV on the GoogleTV box with an HD Homerun & NAS would be very interesting...

Tikker
2011-06-20, 01:28 AM
the death of webguide sucked for true

blueroomelectro
2011-06-20, 01:49 AM
the death of webguide sucked for true

Not sure what you mean?

stampeder
2011-06-20, 02:53 AM
I was not surprised to see the web site locked down during this purchase process. To me it is no big deal. I expect that a revised site will come up, but if after a bit of time that does not happen then I'll become concerned.

Wayne
2011-06-20, 02:00 PM
Easier to reach the top if you kill the competition on its way for bigger things.But to you really think that SageTV was competition for Google? Sage was a niche product with likely no more than a few thousand users.

audacity
2011-06-20, 02:09 PM
Actually, the site was only taken down after the deal was completed. I'm sure there were negotiations for weeks prior to this.

I'm pretty sure that SageTV (as a product) is done. Why?

From the SageTV website:

By teaming up with Google, we believe our ideas will reach an even larger audience of users worldwide on many different products, platforms and services.

Note it says "our ideas", not "our products" or "our platform" or "our technology". It sounds like Google effectively hired some developers who have some experience writing PC DVR applications.

When Google buys a software company and it intends to keep those products on the market, it doesn't shut down the website. A couple examples of this are SketchUp and Keyhole.

In the case of Keyhole --> Google Earth, it worked out quite well because I had paid for a one year sub to Keyhole and Google extended it twice (so I got 3 years of the "pro" version) and the non-pro version became a free product. They didn't ever pull the product though. They just removed the pricetag.

Tikker
2011-06-20, 02:16 PM
Not sure what you mean?
Webguide was the closest thing to softsled out there

When Microsoft hired the developer, they stopped work on webguide, and it's died a slow death

since it was the only way to share a tuner (in media center) from 1 pc to another, it sucked