: Home network setup?

NosmoKing
2011-06-12, 10:54 AM
MTS just replaced my older modem with a wireless router.
What are the steps for setting up communication between home computers, share files etc, using the new Wi-Fi link?
Sorry if it is a dumb question.
Al.

JamesK
2011-06-12, 11:14 AM
As far as sharing files etc., there's no difference between using Wifi or wired connections. They're both ways of networking computers. If you are already sharing files, you should be able to continue doing so. The only difference is the network adapter you use. You'll also have to set up a "SSID" (name for your network) and password for your WiFi. Configure the router with that info first and then when you try to connect to it, you'll be asked for your password. The most secure configuration is WPA2 & AES. You'll want a secure password i.e. not commonly used words etc. You can get "Perfect Password" 63 random character passwords from www.grc.com. I use alpha-numeric passwords only, because I've found some devices choke on some punctuation characters.

Biggles
2011-06-12, 07:05 PM
I made up a password of 25 random characters for my Wi-fi network.However I had to re-set the modem a few times , and it was a real pain typing all the digits ,especially on an Ipod. So pick a good password , but try not to make it too crazy.

Some modems also let you set up a guest network.Not sure about the MTS modem will have this feature.It lets a guest use the wi-fi ,but no access to your network.

NosmoKing
2011-06-12, 10:12 PM
I have access to the internet with the Wi-Fi laptops, but I would like set up a home network through the MTS router also if possible.
I maybe will check with MTS.
Al.

Macman
2011-06-12, 10:24 PM
Do you have just internet with MTS or one of the tv services too? If it's just internet then they probably put in an Actiontec 724 right? There is an interface you can access to help network share all your computers in your home. Simply go to 192.168.100.254 in a browser. If it asks for a password, refer to the sticker on the bottom of the router, and use the wireless key. This interface will have setting (which i've never used) like DMZ and stuff. Good luck!

Macman
2011-06-12, 10:28 PM
Oh and with regard to the other replies, MTS should have set up the wifi and security for you. Did they? I assume the default ssid and wpa2 key that is unique to each mts router should be sufficient. I'm glad they don't use WEP anymore. It's a pain to put in that huge key. Anf of course it's less secure anyway...

NosmoKing
2011-06-13, 12:52 AM
Its a 2Wire from Pace.
http://www.pace.com/universal/gateways/2wire/gateway-platforms/
Al.

jackmiller
2011-06-14, 05:53 PM
is your signal bad through your ISP? Why would you want both?