: LG ST600 Smart TV Upgrader

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

hugh
2011-05-19, 04:39 PM
The folks at LG Canada surprised me by shipping me one of these. Of course, I have to try it out.

It was announced around CES and is coming to market now. I'll post my thoughts in coming days.

Post #2 has the original press release for this.

hugh
2011-05-19, 04:40 PM
Press Release
(SEOUL=Korea Newswire) December 30, 2010 -- At this year's Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas, LG Electronics (LG) will be unveiling the Smart TV Upgrader (ST600) that makes it easy for viewers to transform their regular TVs into Smart TVs at an affordable price. Embracing all the benefits of internet connectivity, the Upgrader gives regular TV owners access to all of LG's Smart TV functions including premium online content, Smart Share and the full range of LG Apps.

"The market for Smart TVs is set to take off this year, and the ST600 offers a perfect entry point," said Havis Kwon, President and CEO of LG Home Entertainment Company. "With the LG Smart TV Upgrader, we're taking the excitement and convenience of Smart TV and adding in LG's trademark ease-of-use because we see a significant audience who are interested but not interested enough to buy a whole new TV."

By connecting the ST600 to a regular TV set, users can access a vast range of premium content from global providers, as well as the best locally sourced shows and movies to cater to different tastes around the world. The ST600 also connects users to the growing range of LG Apps, which are custom designed for use on TVs and offer everything from language classes to games.

LG makes the viewing experience more compelling still with its superb compatibility, which lets users simply and wirelessly transfer content from their Digital Living Network Alliance(DLNA)-compatible PCs and other compatible devices for viewing on the big screen.

LG's Smart TV Upgrader will be unveiled at CES 2011 in Las Vegas and rolled-out to TV owners in the second quarter of 2011.

Specifications:

- Main CPU: BCM7615
- DDR 384MB, 1GB Flash
- LG Add-on Architecture + Web Browser
- AC 100-240V, 50/60 Hz
- Wi-Fi, Ethernet, DLNA (DMP)
- USB: 1EA (USB mouse, external storage)
- Input Devices: Finger Touch RCU
- Premium Content
- LG Apps
- Size: 11cm x 11cm

pnear
2011-05-19, 07:56 PM
I'll be curious to know how it works with Canadian online video services (not that there are many).

Korak
2011-05-20, 09:45 AM
I'm considering buying one of these. At $150 it seems the price is right to convert my Sony Bravia into a "smart tv". Looking forward to your review Hugh.

hugh
2011-05-20, 11:02 AM
Spent about 30 minutes with this device yesterday and had good and bad thoughts.

Good thoughts: Set up was quick and easy. The longest part of setup was the unit calling home to get a firmware update. The interface seems pretty slick and reasonably well thought out. Found my NAS, Windows Home Server and PC without a problem. With one button setup on my Netgear router, the networking setup was about 10 seconds! Remote appears quite rugged.

Bad thoughts: Doesn't seem to be able to play DVD or Blu-ray rips. Comes with Nero media center software which I am not a fan of.

Currently I have WDTVLiveHub, First Gen Apple TV and several other older extenders in the house. I have also used BOxee recently on my HTPC

I will continue to try this out (including the online services) and post my thoughts as I go along.

Bytown Rick
2011-05-20, 05:00 PM
I have also used BOxee recently on my HTPC

Hugh,

I would also be interested in how you think the two stack up.

Regards,

Rick

dirtroad
2011-05-20, 05:27 PM
Looked at the LG ST600 at one place, they had 3 open boxes, that were $15 off, so I am thinking at least 3 people had a problem with them.
Very small footprint, which is good, but like all of these units nothing but HDMI outputs.
I wonder why Boxee Box, and LG, have not added S-video or comp, as a secondary output.
Two people I know have asked me if there is something to convert from HDMI to S-video recently for older TV's and from my searching it costs more for the converter than the Smart TV upgrader.
I wonder if there is going to be a different version of this unit with S-video for those who want the connectivity, without having to upgrade the TV? After all, .....it is an Upgrader, if people have to buy a new TV, they could just buy one with Smart features already.
Is anyone aware of a Smart TV addon that has S-Video?

JohnnyCanuck
2011-07-04, 12:13 PM
I picked up a couple of these over the weekend to serve as DLNA players.

I have most of my video files on a server (WHS 2011) and am running Serviio as my DLNA server. One is running wirelessly, the other is running via connected LAN.

My impressions so far are pretty favourable. Picture quality is significantly better than my PS3 and on par with my OPPO BDP-83 with the same video files. I was never very satisfied with the PS3 PQ and lack of native support for dts and .mkv files. The OPPO is much better, but lack of support for .avi files (requires transcoding) and poor navigation (especially no GOTO function on streamed media) was an annoyance. Upstairs we were using an Xbox 360, but that was requiring copies of most files in .mp4/2-channel to avoid transcoding. Duplicating media content just isn't the most efficient setup.

The only gripe I have so far is the inability to stream media in .m2ts containers. Native support for .mkv and .avi is excellent, but .m2ts needs to be transcoded and the ST600 doesn't handle it well.

daanmogot
2011-07-07, 09:29 AM
Hi Hugh, I just bought LG ST600 also & so far I like it.
Do you know where I can download the remote apps for android ?

Thank you

beachlover
2011-07-21, 08:43 AM
at Futureshop this week for $99. Reviving this thread because not many have commented on their use. Please do. Especially those who also know Boxee, etc.

BTW they gave it to me for $95 since I said I would buy the 3 year extended warranty if they knocked $5 off the unit....the extended warranty was only $20.

Cyclism
2011-07-21, 11:23 AM
Does this recognize and work with HFS or HFS+ formatted USB drives?

neilvan
2011-07-21, 02:34 PM
Just picked one of these up from the Future Shop. Install was easy but lack of support for various video types makes it kind of useless for me. Going back unfortunately.

Just had the same experience with the Sony SMP-N100 as well (which I got for a VERY good price at my local Sony store that is closing...)

I wish these things would offer the same video support my old WD TV box does. I just want something wireless to replace it...maybe I will try the $$$ Boxee next? :(

Korak
2011-07-28, 10:25 AM
I bought one last week and added a wireless keyboard and mouse (the remote keying for letters was a real pain). I discovered that it only has Flash 8, so many files won't play. I'm hoping an update will be out soon to address that. If not, it goes back.

supergenius
2011-07-28, 08:52 PM
Just finished setting one of these up in my bedroom attached to a 42" Plasma. The reason I bought it was 1) Price - $90 plus tax, 2) 5ghz wireless n, 3) MKV playback with DLNA, 4) Netflix/Amazon Prime VOD/Hulu+ support. I have been searching for an all in one solution for these items and have tried nearly everything, including boxee box, appletv 1/2 (jailbroken and not), and wdtv live. While all these have their merits, none have provided the complete package. I was considering a roku as well, but it does not natively support mkv streaming.

So far in my testing, this box has finally succeeded in combining all the features I wanted in a very reasonably priced package. Picture quality is great on all sources, amazon/netflix/hulu stream hd wirelessly without problem, and playback of mkv has been nearly flawless. The only videos that are having trouble with stuttering are high bitrate 1080p, and this is likely due to wireless limitation not the box itself.

I do find the menu navigation a little on the slow side, but not unbearable.

JohnnyCanuck
2011-07-28, 09:24 PM
supergenius, that pretty much echoes my findings. This is a really good unit overall. One thing I really like is that Plex is coming for it. The current firmware cannot play .mkv or .avi files over Plex, but apparently the fix is coming.

supergenius
2011-07-28, 09:52 PM
Agreed. If they get mkv's working with Plex, this will be the streaming box to beat.

Btw, if anyone is interested, amazon.com sells these for $77 US. I may pick up a couple more at that price.

becks
2011-07-29, 07:09 AM
What's the Netflix interface like on these? Can you search for content or does it just show what's in your queue?

supergenius
2011-07-29, 07:47 AM
Netflix has a search function. The interface isn't quite as nice as the AppleTV but it works.

becks
2011-07-29, 07:59 AM
Thanks for the reply. I think I'll get one of these to try out on one of the bedroom tv's.

bdoyledimou
2011-07-30, 02:57 PM
so i picked one of these up today, and it says there is a firmware version update for it, but when i try to download it it fails..

I am currently on

ST.8.79.151.F

And the Update is to ST.8.79.173.F

anyone know what the update addresses?