: Personal Information Collected by AnyDVD

Michael DeAbreu
2011-05-13, 02:41 PM
Several times the AnyDVD software needed to obtain updates before ripping some Blu-ray titles. It specifically notes the Blu-ray title, my registration number, and presumably my ISP. Should I be worried that they collected information about an illegal activity?

hugh
2011-05-13, 02:45 PM
The company already has your name and email address from when you bought the product. If they government wants to come after you then they already can.

ScaryBob
2011-05-13, 03:16 PM
The automated updates can be avoided by updating manually. I doubt the company records personal info about what titles are being played. They just provide info for the required update. As for personal info, the company is Caribbean based so I doubt that US and Canadian authorities have much legal standing. OTOH, consumers have little protection but I have no evidence of any abuse by the company.

sleemo
2011-05-16, 07:15 AM
To stop this sort of thing from happening, install a personal firewall like ZoneAlarm (there are others but that's the one I use). It will stop any software from making an unauthorized Internet connection.

hugh
2011-05-16, 08:12 AM
If you do that though, I don't think AnyDVD will be able to decrypt the Blu-ray or DVD.

sleemo
2011-05-16, 08:18 AM
Really? Even after a manual update? I haven't used AnyDVD in a very long time but I don't remember it ever needed to connect to the net to rip a disc.

hugh
2011-05-16, 09:01 AM
Sleemo, not a 100% sure but I've seen the message (it only happens on the newest releases in my experience) and the implication is that AnyDVD needs something from the Slysoft servers to run properly.

Again I'm not 100% sure as I've only seen the message once or twice.

In fairness, they give you the option of cancelling contacting Slysoft servers.

Inzane
2011-06-13, 10:18 AM
before ripping some Blu-ray titles.

Should I be worried that they collected information about an illegal activity?

Are you though? Are you just using this software to make back-ups of your personal blu-ray collection? Or are you illegally copying blu-rays you did not buy? (If the former, then you may not need to worry)

Michael DeAbreu
2011-06-13, 07:43 PM
Both are illegal under the U.S. DMCA and will be here too when the Tories table the proposed Bill C-32 copyright reform.