: Which Receiver?

buhner
2004-06-25, 06:10 PM
A Harman Kardon AVR130 or a Yamaha HTR5750? Help me out.

JamieB
2004-06-26, 11:08 AM
I have the HTR5750 and I am trully impressed. The receiver is used with Yamaha speakers ns-p436 and all I can say is wow. The speakers are all pretty much bookshelf size and when I first saw them I thought I made a big mistake buying them online since I couldn't try them out first. Once I got them setup in my room which is about 30'*15' I was amazed. The clarity is great and the subwoofer packs quite the punch, although I think there might be a problem with it. I have to wonder how much better some of the higher end speakers will sound but for now my budget says keep these little guys. If in the future I try higher end speakers I will not change the HTR5750. You can go up a notch on the Yamaha line and get preamp connections which many say is a worthwhile investment for the future. As many hear have said you can't go wrong with Yamaha.

buhner
2004-06-26, 01:13 PM
Thanks Jamie B.

Mike F
2004-06-26, 08:30 PM
I'd probably go Yamaha for the lower end stuff. No particular reason... HK is great too.

uman
2004-06-26, 09:34 PM
I own an HK AVR 325. Very happy with it. the 130 is pretty good. The Yamaha is good too. Can't gp wromg with either.

buhner
2004-06-27, 10:52 AM
I'm a little concerned about the watts rating on the AV130. 6x45w whereas the Yamaha is rated for 6x90w. Should I be?

JohnnyG
2004-06-27, 11:05 AM
The H/K's power rating is measured with all channels playing a full-range signal into an 8Ohm load. Most other reciever's power ratings are measure driving ONE channel with a 1kHz signal. So, the H/K is absolutely the worse case scenario, while most other brand's ratings are the best case.

A few years ago, JBL (an Harman company) offered a re-badged AVR120 as part of a JBL theater-in-a-box system. H/K rated this model at 40WPC but magically, JBL had it rated at 100WPC! Same receiver, different way of measuring.

Kpt_Krunch
2004-06-27, 06:52 PM
I have an older Yamaha (RX-V1070) that sucks for H/T - and it shouldn't as it was one of the top of the line Receivers. Whenever a huge, loud explosion happens, the POS would die off (very little sound). When it came time to upgrade I got an H/K 520 and haven't looked back. It is rated for 75 watts/channel, 5 channels driven. But as JohnnyG said, the ratings are not very accurate. For instance, the Yamaha states that it is 6x90watts - so what (no pun intended) as those measurements are usually measured ONE CHANNEL DRIVEN - i.e. if all 6 channels are being driven at the same time, the wattage drops considerably (probably in half) whereas HK measures ALL CHANNELS DRIVEN - so when they say 45watts, they mean it. For instance, when I drive only two channels, the H/K is rated at 90 watts (not 75).

I would stay away from Yamaha, and go with the H/K in a heartbeat. My H/K easily drives my speakers and NEVER loses volume in any explosions - I'll never buy Yamaha again!!

buhner
2004-06-28, 12:07 AM
Thanks Johnny and Kapt.

One more question....Should I be concerned with the lack of a component connection and the fact its rated at 5.1 not 6.1 or 7.1?

MuscleCramp
2004-06-28, 01:43 PM
I'd personally get 6.1 or 7.1. More and more movies are supporting it and if you plan on keeping it a long time, you might want the option to use 6.1 or 7.1 in the near future.

If you're content with 5.1 though... go for it. (I haven't even heard 6.1 or 7.1 yet so I can't say it's better, worse or the same.)

I currently have a 5.1 reciever and am holding off on buying a new one until I move. It will most likely be a Yamaha and for sure 6.1 or 7.1. (or 9.1 if I win the lottery)

Good luck.

JohnnyG
2004-06-28, 02:36 PM
The benefit of 6.1/7.1 depends entirely upon the layout of the room. If your seating is up against the back wall, you'll likely get too much localization from the center rear speaker(s). On the other hand, if your seating position is closer to the middle of the room, adding the center rear speaker(s) will help complete the 'envelope' of sound.

buhner
2004-06-28, 09:37 PM
Thanks Johnny