: Watch 3D BD movies on computer

lunear
2011-04-28, 02:16 PM
I have a computer with Nvidia 450 video card, which supports HDMI 1.4. But my Onkyo TX-SR507 receiver and Toshiba 120HZ LCD TV don't support HDMI 1.4. So I am thinking to upgrade the receiver to 3D, but keep my TV since it has 120Hz refresh rate. Is it possible to watch 3D BD movies on computer?

I connect receiver with computer through HDMI, then HDMI out to TV. I tried the Nvidia 3D Vision set, but it doesn't work with my Onkyo 507 receiver, so I returned it. If I upgrade the receiver to 3D, do I still need the Nvidia 3D Vision set or just any regular 3D glasses like those come with 3D BD players?

The 3D TVs are still too expensive now.

Danster
2011-04-28, 07:28 PM
Yes you can. 2 ways are possible.
For Nvidia, you need the 3D vision kit to enable the 3D from the card. A bluray player of at least 4x and a stereoscopic player like PowerDVD 10.

To be able to run 3D without having to buy a 3D dongle, you'll need an ATI videocard capable of having quad buffers enabled. The 5800 series and above support quad buffer.
Hope this helps a bit.

hugh
2011-04-29, 09:50 AM
. I tried the Nvidia 3D Vision set, but it doesn't work with my Onkyo 507 receiver, so I returned it.

What do you mean by that. The Vision set works with the computer

lunear
2011-04-29, 02:07 PM
My connection is Computer-->Receiver-->TV, the Nvidia 3D Vision can be installed on PC without problem. But when I start the application to detect the compatibility of my hardware, the software says the receiver doesn't support 3D.

I have heard someone has successfully connected laptop to SONY's 3D TV to play 3D BD movies after installing the driver and software for Nvidia's video card and 3D Vision application. I just want to confirm if I just upgrade the receiver, can I play 3D movies on my Toshiba 120HZ refreshing TV?

Michael DeAbreu
2011-04-29, 02:13 PM
My understanding is that the Nvidia solution syncs the video stream with their glasses at the video card. At least, that is how they implement 3D gaming. Putting a receiver between the card and monitor might ruin the sync. Perhaps there are settings in the drivers to correct the timings.

ATI on the other hand, simply streams the combined video streams as per the HDMI 1.4 standard for 3D. They leave it up to the TV to process the left/right images and sync with the TV's 3D glasses.

Nvidia also supports HDMI 1.4 on their newer cards. But you will need a compatible 3D TV and glasses set.

StreetPreacher
2011-04-29, 05:03 PM
You're not going to be able to watch 3D on that set using a computer and NVidia 3D Vision. Nvidia 3D vision only works with displays that will accept a 120hz input, and I'm fairly sure your Toshiba only accepts 60hz inputs, which it internally converts into 120hz for display.

There is a new product called VIP 3D Theatre that will allow you to run 3D on 60hz displays, but then you're only getting 30hz per eye which tends to result in visible flicker. This device will take the 3D image from your source (xbox,ps3,bluray,sat/cable), and convert it into a 60hz frame sequential signal that your TV will accept.

http://www.3d-vip.com/#!products/vstc1=displayer-info

lunear
2011-05-02, 12:52 PM
Nvidia also released 3D TV Play, which is very similar with 3D Vision, but it supports more 3D TVs, AVRs with HDMI 1.4.

StreetPreacher
2011-05-02, 02:42 PM
Unfortunately I don't think the 3DTV Play drivers will help you either. Your problem is that the Toshiba just doesn't support any of the standard 3D formats, and since it only accepts 60hz inputs it's not suitable for 3D Vision either.

As far as I can tell, your only option to get 3D on that display is a device similar to that VIP displayer that is able to convert the 3D content for use with a 60hz display.

http://www.toshiba.ca/web/product.grp?lg=en&section=2&group=521&product=9451&category=
(3) HDMI™ 1.3 Input with InstaPort™ Technology (Supports 1080p/60hz/24hz) - 1 side Input

lunear
2011-05-09, 01:09 PM
True. I just updated to Denon AVR-1911 receiver, which supports HDMI v1.4 3D. But in Nvidia Control Panel, the display is still 60Hz only. I am not sure how it gets the information. Does the receiver pass the TV information to computer?

StreetPreacher
2011-05-09, 01:55 PM
Yes, the EDID is being sent through the receiver.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_display_identification_data

j0dest3r
2011-05-11, 01:41 PM
Doesn't sound like your display supports 3d either. It all has to be supported end to end. If you had a 3d monitor on the comp with the nVidia kit everything would work as expected.

Another option is there is at least one Panasonic Blu-ray player that has dual outputs. 1. with HDMI 1.4 to go to the display and one HDMI 1.3 to go to the receiver. Although as you stated you have upgraded your AVR already.

lunear
2011-05-16, 01:44 PM
Just replaced my TV with Samsung UN46C7000WF LED 3D TV. And it works great! Just start the software to play 3D BD movies, and the TV will recognize the signals, informing you to put on 3D glasses. The 3D effect is incredible! Just like watching 3D movies in cinema, and it is more brighter than Real 3D!