: Google Nexus S frequencies question

jcole
2011-04-11, 11:30 AM
Hello,

Im currently on a fido contract which will be expiring soon. I want to buy a Nexus S phone. Rogers/fido offers that phone which they say is unlocked. Since Fido's and Rogers pricing sucks, I might switch to mobilicity in a couple months. If I buy a Rogers/fido nexus s, will it work with mobilicity's 3G network ? I've read that a mobilicity phone or a used craigslist phone won't get 3G through fido.

Basically, is there a nexus s version that will give me compatibility with both networks ? I want to buy the phone outright, which will give me better bargaining power through fido. I'm going to tell them to match mobilicity's pricing or im gonna switch providers.

audacity
2011-04-11, 11:52 AM
If you're going to switch providers, then do so before buying new hardware; especially if your new provider supports a different set of frequencies. This is the case for all the new companies (Mobilicity, Wind, etc).

TorontoColin
2011-04-11, 01:50 PM
There are two versions of the Nexus S. One that works with 3G on Bell/Rogers/Telus and their flanker brands, and one that works with 3G on Wind/Mobilicity/Videotron. There is no version that will do both.

jcole
2011-04-11, 02:14 PM
Thanks. That is the answer I needed. With my fido dollars I can get the nexus for dirt cheap. Maybe I can convince them to reduce my rates now that my contract is almost up.