: Send video from multiple sources to TV

milkster
2011-04-05, 11:27 AM
I'm trying to setup our boardroom at my place of work where PC's can display presentations/powerpoint/etc onto a LCD TV. The TV has HDMI inputs and VGA.

The TV is about 50 feet away from the table where the computer would be sitting so I'm thinking of doing a HDMI over Ethernet run for the 50 feet.

My problem is that there will be different kinds of computers being hooked up to the TV which have different video output options. I will have PCs with VGA out only, DVI/VGA out, or display port out.

I'm thinking of getting a 1x4 video switcher BUT they are either all HDMI, or VGA, or Component. I can't find one which can take input from either VGA or HDMI/DVI (incorporated into one box) which leaves me in a bind on what to do with the PC's that have VGA out only.

Can anyone provide some input on what I can do in this situation? I've been looking at Tripp Lite products to do the HDMI over Ethernet. What other manufacturers should I look at?

*** To the mods - if this is in the wrong forum then please move where appropriate ***

hugh
2011-04-05, 11:31 AM
Probably the cheapest and easiest is to hook up a dedicated computer and have people play their powerpoint presentations off of a USB stick.

Why does everyone have to plug their computer to deliver a powerpoint presentation?

scampbell
2011-04-05, 11:39 AM
If everything else can be converted to HDMI, then perhaps the easiest solution would be running a 50' vga cable and a VGA switch box.

Or hook up a PC to the TV directly and use a screen sharing/video streaming program of some type to connect to the presenter's PC over your network.

audacity
2011-04-05, 12:00 PM
Why does everyone have to plug their computer to deliver a powerpoint presentation?

Sometimes it's not just a powerpoint presentation, sometimes users have client software installed on their PC that they are going to use/demo, and they don't want to install that software on the presentation PC.

Most of the presentation rooms that I've used work like this:

There is a wall-plate that has VGA/DVI/HDMI jacks in them, and those are connected to the display device (typically a projector). People plug in their laptop and then take the remote control of the projector and press the input button a few times until they get to the right input device.

I don't see how a TV would be any different. To make it look cleaner you could pre-run some in-wall cables close to where the presenters would be sitting. One strategy I've seen is for the cables to be run under the floor and the table has built-in video jacks for laptops to be plugged in to. I've seen vendors selling 50' HDMI and 50' VGA cables. I'd just buy one of each and then the user could plug their device into the jacks in the wall/table. If people want to switch from one input to another, just use the TV's remote control.

JamesK
2011-04-05, 12:10 PM
There's a simple solution to not wanting to install software on the display computer. It's very easy to create a drive image and restore it after all the presentations and installs. Also, some TVs and monitors have multiple inputs. For example, my monitor supports HDMI, DVI and VGA inputs. Both of my TVs support HDMI and VGA. IIRC, HDMI, DVI and DisplayPort are compatible, with appropriate adapters. Between multiple inputs and adapters, you should be able to get everything to work

milkster
2011-04-05, 12:16 PM
I want to make this as easy for the end user as possible. The reason for the video switcher is that this room sometimes doubles as a work area where several people come in and want to show their computers screen on the TV. Having them hook into a video switcher gives them an easy way to flip between whos pc screen they want to show on the TV.

I guess for the people that have laptops with only VGA out, i will have to run a 50foot VGA cable to the TV and then they will just have to flip the inputs on the TV to get their video showing.

Can you guys recommend hardware vendors for the HDMI over Ethernet and HDMI video switcher? I'll most likely end up ordering from monoprice the various dongles to convert to HDMI.

scampbell
2011-04-05, 12:21 PM
I've never tried one, but something like this might work: http://aluratek.com/vga-to-hdmi-1080p-adapter-with-audio

Or if this works, you could use it for everyone: http://aluratek.com/usb-to-hdmi-1080p-adapter-with-audio

Civuck
2011-04-05, 06:52 PM
I say just run seperate cables for each type of connection.

Coop
2011-04-05, 08:38 PM
Gefen probably has what your after Conversion Boxes - HDMI (http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproductlisting.jsp?listingCategory=Converters&productType=hdmi)