: Calgary OTA problems in windows media center 7

csclgry
2011-04-02, 01:53 PM
Hi,

I just want to confirm the settings when adding CBRT to windows media center. According to http://www.user.dccnet.com/jonleblanc/Canada_TV_Stations/AB.html, I used channel = 9-1 with frequency 21. When I change to that channel, there is a blue screen with "Service is unavailable". Is there a problem with transmission or am I using the wrong settings?

Thanks.

j0dest3r
2011-04-02, 02:11 PM
I just channel scanned for CBC in Windows Media Center and it came up right away.

csclgry
2011-04-02, 02:36 PM
Is CBRT switching on and off their transmission currently? Yes j0dest3r when you posted, it was working for me too so my settings must be correct. The signal seems to come and go for me. When I check the signal strength, I get all other channels with full green boxes. CBRT shows with one red box. I am in central Calgary with the antenna in the attic so I would hope it is not a reception problem. Is CBRT significantly less transmission power?

VuMax
2011-04-03, 02:20 PM
Yes, CBRT is temporarily using a very low-power transmitter (1.5kW).

frontpl8
2011-04-03, 04:43 PM
csclgry: what type of antenna are you using? I Get CBC DT out here in Strathmore with a strong signal,and haven't noticed any cut outs as you mentioned. Even with their low power you should be getting it, especially when I get it and I'm 35 + miles from transmitters.

csclgry
2011-04-04, 01:09 PM
The antenna that I am using looks very similar to the one on this web page, http://dmikula.wordpress.com/2009/02/21/if-its-free-its-me/ . I pick up the other three channels perfectly. I get better reception with the home made antenna than the amplified one that I bought (Monoprice part #4730).

CBC is now coming in better now but sometimes it takes a bit longer to connect when changing channels. I think the extra time is because media center is searching on the other tuner on my Hauppauge HVR-2250 tuner card because it cannot initially lock in with the first tuner because of a weak signal. Does anybody know when CBC will increase their power?