: Snowstorm strands hundreds on highway near Sarnia, Ont.

hugh
2010-12-14, 10:06 AM
Police in Sarnia, Ont., said drifting snow and zero visibility had trapped about 300 people in some 360 vehicles since Monday on Highway 402 between Sarnia and County Road 22, about 30 kilometres east of the city. (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/ontario/snowstorm-strands-hundreds-on-highway-near-sarnia-ont/article1836551/)

Const. Jones said police on snowmobiles had been going up and down the snow-blocked highway throughout the night checking on people and ferrying some to emergency shelters.

mr weather
2010-12-14, 10:16 AM
The military is apparently involved now getting ready to do air lifts (once the visibility improves). And yes, cue the Mel Lastman jokes. ;)

The Compass cameras on the 402 east of Sarnia present a pretty eerie picture: the highway is completely snow-covered and there are zero vehicles anywhere.

supergenius
2010-12-14, 10:16 AM
Yep, 2 days off work so far due to the weather. Its really nuts out there!! I lived in Calgary for five years and never experienced anything like this. The snow drift in my driveway was over 5 ft tall.

Nanuuk
2010-12-14, 10:32 AM
Wow. I hope everyone is ok.

DdDave
2010-12-14, 01:51 PM
I was supposed to drive from Toronto to Detroit Monday morning, and we usually cross at Sarnia. As much as I would have liked to have had a couple days off work, I wouldn't want to spend them trapped in a car. Good thing we bailed when we got up and saw the traffic reports starting to come in!

asd
2010-12-14, 11:01 PM
supergenius, I don't know why you connect 5 years in Calgary to the current weather event near Sarnia Ontario. Calgary is situated in a semi arid steppe environment, with about 17 inches of precipitation annually. Sarnia is in a much more snow prone region.

Here in Annapolis Valley we also had a weather "experience" last night. It is a lot warmer than southern Ontario, at 17 Celsius last night, but we had what some say was wind as bad as hurricane Juan. In my yard, 2 giant pines came down and miraculously nobody was hurt; there was no damage to Chez ASD, either. The power was out of course but heck it's warm so we won't freeze and it's Christmas so I saved on the light bill.

ScaryBob
2010-12-14, 11:18 PM
Calgary is situated in a semi arid steppe environment, with about 17 inches of precipitation annually.
We got more than that in one day last week and it kept on snowing for two more days straight. Then we had some wet snow/rain just before it turned cold to solidify the big pile of slush the city plow left in our driveway overnight. Winter in Ontario is so much fun. :eek:

It started snowing here this evening again. It made the roads treacherous but you wouldn't know it by the drivers that were doing 80 on city streets, cutting in an out and tailgating cars doing 50 (the speed limit.) Idiots!

hugh
2010-12-14, 11:27 PM
Two words for you "snow belt"

ScaryBob
2010-12-14, 11:50 PM
The heart of the Lake Huron snow belt is north of London. Every few years the winds are shifted a little and London or other areas get dumped upon. There is also some evidence that this may be related to two other words, "El Nina." ;)