: How does Jadoo TV work?

hamid14
2010-12-06, 06:29 PM
How do IPTV set-top boxes work like JadooTV? They require an internet connection, but they don't use my internet bandwidth, how? If someone can explain this to me, I'd really appreciate it, thanks.

recneps77
2010-12-06, 08:03 PM
Oh, it uses bandwidth. Jadoo is not IPTV, but rather internet TV.
The difference? One uses the internet to get content, the other uses internet protocols. Sounds the same? kinda, sorta, not really.
Here's what I mean:

Unless you're with a company that offers true IPTV, like telus, it uses internet bandwidth.
The TV packets are routed over a separate 'connection' than your internet transfer.
But it's still over the same pipe.

True IPTV has the benefit of multicast - one packet is sent to every end device, only using x internal bandwidth.
With internet video as it is now, usually it's on-demand. So you initiate a connection for every single user accessing the content.
With an IPTV setup, you have a second 'connection' just for TV. The headend receives the feed once, and then can split the packet to all desinations on the internal network that want that channel.
Essentially reducing the required bandwidth.
(Instead of a connection from user -> internet/video source, multiplied by 1000.
You can have connection from 1000 users -> localized hub, and then a single connection from that hub to the video source)

So on the aggregate links, you've reduced your entire TV watching base to one connection, when there might have been thousands.
This doesn't help local node saturation, as you still have a connection to each user, but it certainly is more efficient for the big 'pipes'.

Dr.Dave
2010-12-06, 08:09 PM
Jadoo is just another box that allows you to connect your TV to the public internet and watch on-line video. It DOES use you internet bandwidth and any video you watch will count against your monthly cap.

From the company FAQ:
How much network bandwidth is required for proper operation of jadooBox?
At least 1 Mbps connection is required from your internet service provider.

hamid14
2010-12-07, 05:06 PM
but it uses very little bandwidth, right? Say I watch 4-5 hours in a day, how many GB's would that be? Also, if I had the http link to the media stream on my computer, would it be possible to create a device that plays that particular media stream from my pc to that device?

Dr.Dave
2010-12-07, 08:05 PM
@hamid14, the better the quality of the video, the more bandwidth it will use. Half-decent video will probably use about 1 GB for 2 hours, but that will depend on the programming you are streaming. HD video will use more bandwidth. I'm not familiar with the channels Jadoo TV transmits, so I don't know what the quality is like.

You could probably connect your PC directly to the TV, depending on what connections you have on your PC and TV. Many modern PCs have an HDMI output. If yours doesn't, you probably have a VGA connection on your TV.