: Problems with image not filling the screen.

insolence
2010-11-09, 04:41 PM
InsigniaŽ-47" 1080p Flat-Panel LCD HDTV-NS-LCD47HD-09

My Insignia TV is not filing the screen with the signal from my TIVO Premiere box. I had a cable box hooked up to it 2 days ago and it filled the screen fine, but the tivo signal is coming thru with black bars on the sides. using the zoom feature is not ideal because the top and bottom of the signal is being cut off.

The same thing is also happening with my insignia Blue Ray player as well as sporadically with my Western Digital TV Live. The WD TV live will work if i power it off and back on while on the correct input with the TV, however it will revert to non full screen if I change the input on the tv and then go back to the WD TV live's port.

I have found that the cablevision cable box will display in complete full 16x9 on the TV and so will my older DVD player with HDMI out.

With the TIVO premier XL I have tried all 3 HDMI inputs as well as composite and all will only display with the black on either side. Again, the Zoom feature crops the outer edges of the picture is not the true answer to this problem.

2010-11-09, 05:36 PM
Perhaps the following FAQs will help: These issues are almost always an incorrect setting in either the sending device, or in the TV.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76089 Black Bars

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76074 Stretch Modes

Of course, one must realize that black bars are normal on certain programming - SD, 4:3 upconverts, etc. Attempting to fill the screen with these programmes would result in stretched images, or with zoomed images with the top/bottom cut off.

insolence
2010-11-09, 08:22 PM
57, thanks for the quick reply, but I have to say it isn't really relevant to our problem. I don't want to come off as hostile, but this isn't as easy as "oh the silly user doesn't understand they are watching standard definition programming on a high definition television". It's a bit more complicated than that, and hard to describe to someone without sounding crazy. That being said, I believe that the original post above and my addition to it do a good enough job that the typical canned response does not apply.

The big issue for me is that using the zoom/wide function on the Insignia seems to look okay, but it does crop the picture on the edges a bit, and I'm sorry but I paid good money for the TV, the Tivo, and Blue Ray player to be compromising and losing some of the picture here. It is especially irritating when watching shows that have a network logo in the lower right corner the logo is now partially off-screen, taunting me even more.

topherpaquette
2010-11-09, 08:44 PM
Clearly there are settings that are wrong on your devices which are causing these results.

Please tell us more about your devices ( Product Numbers, Cables, Inputs/Outputs you are using, and other information relevant to your set-up) and maybe another member ca help you out.

insolence
2010-11-09, 10:37 PM
I have posted on the Insignia site and I'm hoping to find an answer there but I'm sekptical. My guess is that they know about it but won't fess up about it. I called Insignia/Bestbuy earlier this year when my Blu-Ray stopped going full screen and they weren't able to help.

Costa
2010-11-09, 11:02 PM
I think it's funny that everyone that I've spoken to at BB about Insignia products recommends me to stay away. Always felt it was a given anyway, and you get what you pay for.

Anyways, try getting a warranty exchange. Might just be a bad unit, due to quality assurance!

2010-11-09, 11:57 PM
Since you were new here and since the issue sounded like the typical ones we get here, the FAQs were an appropriate first reply - you may wish to read them since they contain a lot more than the typical information. Also, your posts have been moved out of the BTV 6131 thread, since your issue has nothing to do with a BTV 6131, even if your problem is similar to the one posted there.

The big issue for me is that using the zoom/wide function on the Insignia seems to look okay, but it does crop the picture on the edges a bit
Overscan on TVs is normal, sorry to direct you to another FAQ, but check out the following one on Overscan.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=93233

With most TVs, unless you're on a pixel for pixel mode (which the Insignia may not have), there will be some image missing on the sides (and top/bottom) - typically 2-3% on most new TVs. Of course, zooming a 4:3 image will cut off the tops/bottoms. As mentioned by others, Insignia may have more overscan than some other TVs.

We need to understand what programming/source you're watching since, as I mentioned earlier, there is lots of programming where black bars are perfectly normal, as indicated in the FAQ, but where stretching/zooming will result in distorted images, minor loss of image, or major loss of image, depending on the stretch mode(s) invoked by the various devices involved.

insolence
2010-11-10, 08:02 AM
Regarding overscan, yeah, my guess is I'll simply have to deal with it.

It is just so strange, because the WD TV Live unit only works correctly after a fresh restart and only if i don't change the input on the tv.

Here's a list of things I've connected to the TV and am now having these issues:
WD TV Live Plus
Tivo Premiere XL (TiVo - TCD748000 (TVOTCD748000)
Tivo HD XL (HD XL 150hr (R65800))
InsigniaŽ-Blu-ray Disc Player with 1080p Output-NS-BRDVD
Sony DVD Player DVP-NS710H

The only thing that consistently always worked without using zoom was my Cablevision DVR which I returned a few days ago, so I don't have the exact model information, it was a Scientific Atlanta unit.

Pinza
2010-11-10, 08:16 AM
I think it's funny that everyone that I've spoken to at BB about Insignia products recommends me to stay away. Always felt it was a given anyway, and you get what you pay for.

Anyways, try getting a warranty exchange. Might just be a bad unit, due to quality assurance!

I cannot say I have ever had a warm fuzzy feeling about any of the Insignia TV's I have encountered, so I have to agree with you Costa.

The replies on Insigia's Forum do suggest several things to try and almost all the people who had posted on there have had the issues resolved.

Tezster
2010-11-10, 09:20 AM
Double-check the zoom/display settings on your LCD. I know that with my parents' (Toshiba) LCD, the unit always defaults to a 'normal' display mode which introduces some overscan. However, there's a 'full' display made which will display 100% of the image with no overscan. The problem is, when you switch inputs, or turn off the display and turn it back on, it always switches back to the 'normal' display mode, and I haven't figured out a way to permanently set it to 'full' mode.