: New PSP2?

eimaj
2010-10-26, 11:36 PM
It's hard to believe that what we're looking at is real -- but we assure you, the picture above is in fact the PlayStation Phone you've long been waiting for. As we reported back in August, the device you see is headed into the market soon, likely boasting Android 3.0 (aka Gingerbread), along with a custom Sony Marketplace which will allow you to purchase and download games designed for the new platform. The device snapped up top (and in our gallery below) is sporting a 1GHz Qualcomm MSM8655 (a chip similar to the one found in the G2, but 200MHz faster), 512MB of RAM, 1GB of ROM, and the screen is in the range of 3.7 to 4.1 inches.

from engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/26/the-playstation-phone/)

SWEET!!!

pappcam
2010-10-27, 12:07 AM
That's one fugly piece of hardware. I'd be surprised if the battery life on that thing is anything but brutal.

TorontoColin
2010-10-27, 01:24 AM
Is it a PSP2 or the long-rumoured PSP phone?

Meaning, will it be a whole new platform for games or will it leverage and build on the current PSP catalogue? Is this a whole new platform, or is it a PSP Go mashed in with an SE X10?

Dioneo
2010-10-27, 09:44 AM
Supposedly it will run on Android, which I would assume means that it won't be able to play PSP games.

asif9t9
2010-10-27, 12:13 PM
Is it a PSP2 or the long-rumoured PSP phone?

Meaning, will it be a whole new platform for games or will it leverage and build on the current PSP catalogue? Is this a whole new platform, or is it a PSP Go mashed in with an SE X10?
PSP2 is for next year. PSP Phone is for later this year.

I have a PSP and I swear if it didn't have the ability to play mp4's, it would be so useless. Bad games. Or games that need two analog sticks. There really are only a handful of games that are worthwhile.

dezzpayne
2010-10-27, 12:45 PM
I'd like to think the PSP2 and the PSP Phone are the same thing. Convergence is what I'd like. There are probably millions of people who wouldn't buy a gaming handheld but would be willing to consider buying the PSP2 if it were an Android phone to boot. It wouldn't even be difficult to have dial analogue nubs that would still work with a slider phone.

asif9t9
2010-10-28, 02:24 PM
I figure people replace their phones more often than their portable game consoles. You'd have to have the phone of all phones (upgradeable??) to get people to commit for years. I still have my 3yr old Blackberry Pearl. It's so....ancient.

dezzpayne
2010-10-29, 12:46 PM
I just think Sony are misstepping if they think the PSP2 has a market in NA. With the Iphone and Android phones for adults and the 3DS for kids, where does the PSP2 fit in?

Nowhere. that's where.

asif9t9
2010-10-29, 04:18 PM
I think the PSP2 needs to be a portable version of the PS3. Start with that plan and go from there.

If not, then go like the Iphone and try to make a phone that everyone wants...and which happens to play games. But for the extra hardware require for real games (ie. buttons), the cost would be astronomical. I do think if you want to convince people that your device is the device to carry around, it has to be more about communication than gaming.

dezzpayne
2010-10-29, 05:22 PM
Well rumors are it's as powerful as a 360. I will hold back from commenting on if that does or does not mean it's as powerful as a PS3 :p