: Canada Post is so fast!

Pages : [1] 2

hugh
2010-10-26, 02:20 PM
In a rebuttal to this thread (http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=130717) I had to post my experience.

I mailed a letter yesterday to an editor at the Globe and Mail at about 12:30pm. He received it this morning.

He got it less than 24 hours after I mailed it and that includes the time the Globe and Mail received it and got it to the editor.

Fedex couldn't do much better at 15 or 20 times the price.

2010-10-26, 02:43 PM
I have had the same experience many times. I believe it depends on the route taken, sorting facility, and when your box is emptied, etc. Mail to my dad in Brampton is also often there in 1 day from downtown Toronto.

Of course, this is something that's nice to get, but not "guaranteed".

hugh
2010-10-26, 02:45 PM
As I noted before, many people don't understand that packages and letters are two totally different things and Canada post is optimal for letters, not packages.

Much of letters can be done through automated sorting machines so they can be done quickly. My experience is letters never take long.

becks
2010-10-26, 02:52 PM
^Good for you in TO but it's still taking at least 1 week for letters to get from one end of Ottawa to the other which is ridiculous

lima20
2010-10-26, 03:13 PM
^Good for you in TO but it's still taking at least 1 week for letters to get from one end of Ottawa to the other which is ridiculous
Ottawa needs a 407 like road, the 416 - 417 thing is starting to get on my nerves, even Kandahar has better route access.

Jake
2010-10-26, 03:16 PM
Touché! I am happy for Toronto. :)

Ok ok GTA! Jeeze.

hugh
2010-10-26, 03:26 PM
I just think sometimes the forums are too negative so I wanted to promote something positive!

jayoldschool
2010-10-26, 03:59 PM
I also like Canada Post. They have never lost a package that I have mailed, or received.

JamesK
2010-10-26, 04:15 PM
He received it this morning.

I have also often sent or received mail that arrived the next day. However, last week, I sent a first class item, from Mississauga to Toronto, that took a week to arrive. In the mean time I had mailed 3 other items to that same address, via the same mailbox, and they all arrived earlier than that one item. Why overnight for some items and a week for others? This is not the first time this has occurred.

JamesK
2010-10-26, 04:16 PM
They have never lost a package

I have experienced an occasional piece of lost mail.

Fry1989
2010-10-26, 04:22 PM
It's usually pretty fast for me too. When I order things on Amazon they usually ship in th evening/night, and I get them the next day, less then 17 hours from Mississauga to Orillia. I actually find that UPS is slower, it takes them 2-3 days to get my items here.

2010-10-26, 04:51 PM
Why overnight for some items and a week for others?Probably if the item doesn't auto sort for some reason - Postal Code unreadable by the machine, etc, then it gets sidetracked to "manual". Make sure your postal code is in the appropriate place, on its own line and legible and you should normally not have such issues.

hugh
2010-10-26, 05:04 PM
What 57 says. Canada Post literally moves millions of pieces of mail to tens of thousands addresses everyday. Logistically that an amazing feat.

Since much of the work is done by OCR and computers, it makes sense that mail that is not legible could be problematic. I recommend typing or printing.

dirtroad
2010-10-26, 05:05 PM
Like 57 says it should be legible, as:
To deliver the package, all they (Canada Post) have to be able to read is the House Number and the Postal Code.
The Postal Code gives them everything down to which side of the street, and in some cases the building, so the only thing else is the house number, and/or apartment number.

jean luc picard
2010-10-26, 07:00 PM
i love canada post. many times i've gotten packages in three days from richmond, bc to RURAL pei. staggering really. i've always preferred canada post for sending any smallish items. purolator for bigger items.

Jake
2010-10-26, 07:20 PM
To deliver the package, all they (Canada Post) have to be able to read is the House Number and the Postal Code

I don't think so. One problem I faced in the past was my postal code and street number was exactly the same as another house in my neighborhood. We would always get each others mail. I moved and guess what, I get the cross street mail (same civic number) about once a month.

But I will agree. If you are in a well-served area Canada Post is most economical.

JamesK
2010-10-26, 10:06 PM
Make sure your postal code is in the appropriate place

The envelopes are pre-printed. I don't put a mark on them. Another item to that same address has been missing in action for over a year!

ScaryBob
2010-10-26, 11:59 PM
Canada post is optimal for letters, not packages.
Or more correctly, optimized for first class letter mail. Anything else gets much slower treatment. Next day service is quite common if first class mail is sorted and delivered locally.

Biggles
2010-10-27, 03:30 AM
Canada Post always delivers the bills really fast.....

JamesK
2010-10-27, 07:41 AM
^^^^
And junk mail. ;)