: Resident Evil 3D - worth watching

David Susilo
2010-09-11, 03:48 PM
NO, it's not a brainiac movie. Park your brain at the doors and enjoy the ride.

First of all, the sound: amazing and active surround throughout the movie

Second, and most importantly the 3D presentation:
3D presentation is extremely amazing except for three scenes:
-- Aircraft flying towards and from Arcadia: very apparent that it's a conversion from 2D shot
-- CG of aircraft graveyard: very weird, artificial and distinctly shows several layers of 3D-plane instead of one continuous depth
-- Scenes with torches. The fire popped out too much whereas the torch is further away from the fire. Weird depth perception to the point of distracting

Storyline:
What storyline?

Overall? I enjoyed this movie much better than Avatar (both IMAX 3D and regular RealD presentations)

stump14
2010-09-12, 02:20 AM
Good to know as I plan on watching this next week though I could care less about the 3D.

David Susilo
2010-09-12, 11:49 AM
I think due to its great photography works, it doesn't matter whether this movie is viewed in 2D.

One thing for sure, unlike Avatar, this movie will be more enjoyable to watch in 2D than Avatar.

Another aspect that I like about this movie is that it doesn't try to be intelligent and it's not taking itself too seriously.

rfielder
2010-09-13, 10:06 AM
To the OP - Where did you see the movie? IMAX or digital?

David Susilo
2010-09-13, 12:28 PM
Regular Real3D viewed from 1/2 screen height away.

Reason being is that even with silver screen, the brightness level have suffered quite dramatically (I assume to be no more than 11ft/L) and IMAX3D presentatuion have always been worse (in brightness, must be much lower than 10 ft/L)

wm_cheng
2010-09-15, 02:37 PM
Yay! Support films shot in Toronto!!

I worked on it, I was one of the set designers and designed the futuristic V-22 VTOL aircraft both exterior and interiors, cryo tubes, and as well as all the end white rooms. It was a lot of fun to work on and please support films shot in Canada!!!

Funny, a lot of those aircrafts were real - we only extended it with CG ones in the distant background.

Brainless fun is exactly what it aims to be.

David Susilo
2010-09-15, 03:52 PM
Agreed. Not all movie should be "Citizen Kane". For me, movie is mostly escapism, so I do want to park my brain outside and just enjoy the movie for what it is.

wm_cheng, do you guys ever need on-location still photographer?

PS: I like the cryo tubes. They are not too stylish and adds the believability of the tubes' function.

wm_cheng
2010-09-15, 04:19 PM
Yes, but they have to be unioned - we use IASTE 667 for stills photographers.

WetCardboard
2010-09-15, 07:43 PM
I didn't go in expecting much but this movie was WAAAAAAYYYYY better than I thought it would be. I'm not a HUGE Resident Evil fan but I've played the games and watched the other three movies multiple times. I'm tired of critics giving such bad reviews, for what the movie is trying to do, it does it great. The previous movies weren't great but I enjoy them because I know what to expect. This movie blew away my expectations not only because of the 3D, but moreso because of the cast and elements from the game finally being brought into the film series.

David Susilo
2010-09-16, 03:06 PM
Yes, but they have to be unioned

:( :( :(

David Susilo
2010-09-16, 03:12 PM
I'm tired of critics giving such bad reviews, for what the movie is trying to do, it does it great.

Agreed, too many film critics seems to have the need every single movie to be the next Citizen Kane. There are times that movies needs to be good... if the premise is good. This movie is about shooting the undead no question asked... and this movie delivers perfectly.

lima20
2010-09-17, 12:41 PM
This movie bored me to death, that I didn't even bother finishing it. It's got to be up there with book of Eli as one of the bore-fest movies in the last 18 months.

I am still waiting for the next citizen kane calibre movie to be made.

Rosebud my friends, Rosebud

David Susilo
2010-09-17, 02:00 PM
LOL! too funny!

rfielder
2010-09-28, 10:01 AM
Watched this on Sunday in digital 3D at Orion Gate in Brampton. I really need to stop going to that theatre....

Good movie - no Avatar, but we enjoyed it. The 3D is also not up to the Avatar level, but was used well in a few places. However, we found it hard on the eyes, as if the registration was off, or something.

Does it matter how close to the screen you sit? We were about 1/3 of the way back from the screen.

There was one major issue with the story - this is a spoiler....
Alice survives the plane crash, untouched, even though she has been changed back to human. How can that be, when the bad guy was destroyed and had to be "rebuilt by the T-cells"?

David Susilo
2010-09-28, 11:38 AM
In theory it should be able to be watched from any (theatrical) distance. In reality, however, if I sit further back than the 1/3 (from the front) of the theatre, I get headache. The same goes with my daughter.

I always sit on the first or 4th or 5th row (which in actual distance, due to the walkway, is actually more like the 8th or 9th row) from the screen and never experienced headache.

As far as answering your question (the spoiler)... my daughter have the perfect and most logical answer to it: "because she's special".

ChipDouglas
2010-09-29, 11:14 AM
I too had fun watching this movie and the entire series despite never playing any of the games before. Great cast, great action, and great pace.

ClaytonG
2010-09-30, 01:27 AM
I am a Resident Evil fan of both the games and the movies, and in my opinion this was the worst of them all. The last one ended perfect, but I was afraid they would make another one like this, very weak storyline and things were done just to add 3D effect. I just hope they stop here rather then some crazy story line after this one.

ChipDouglas
2010-09-30, 11:02 AM
A 5th movie in the series has been confirmed already, and I'll be watching it too. Afterlife wasn't as good as the third, and none of them top the first, but the second was pretty bad. The clay guy was just weak.

Tezster
2010-11-08, 04:25 PM
Resident Evil: Afterlife becomes the most successful 'Canadian' feature film (http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/movies/article/887490--resident-evil-sequel-becomes-most-successful-canadian-feature-film).

Canterbury Tail
2010-11-09, 08:44 AM
Resident Evil: Afterlife becomes the most successful 'Canadian' feature film (http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/movies/article/887490--resident-evil-sequel-becomes-most-successful-canadian-feature-film).
But can you trust an article with this sentence in it?

The film, like its predecessors, was shot entirely in Toronto and the GTA.

Don't find many deserts in the GTA. Unless Baja has moved to the GTA I'm fairly certain #3 had nothing to do with us. #1 was shot in Germany (other than the Racoon City bit at the end.)#2 however was entirely shot in the GTA. So 1 out of 3, not bad for The Star.