: Epson EX71 projector for Home Theater?

DJDiggler
2010-09-03, 11:08 PM
I just picked up a Epson EX71 for just over $500 and am wondering if I should open it or not, (I impulse bought the last one they had at that price :rolleyes: ). I know this a more business oriented projector but I've read it's virtually identical to the Epson 705HD.

I like a few things about this projector; brightness, $180 bulbs good for 5000 hours, versatility, price, and some really good reviews. But I've also read the black levels aren't very good and some were disappointed with the picture compared to DLP projectors. I also read it will accept a 1080p signal but the box says 1080i.

Can anyone give me any insight to what I should do? Is this a great deal for a $800 projector? I was thinking of the HD66 for $200 or so more and getting 3D support or one of the sub $1000 1080p models but the budjet is beyond tight right now with the ongoing basement renos. :confused:

eljay
2010-09-03, 11:31 PM
According to the information for this projector on ProjectorCentral.com (http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-EX71.htm), it has a native aspect ratio of 16:10, a "native" pixel resolution of 1280x800 and a "maximum" resolution (not sure what that means) of 1600x1200. And, according to the user manual from the Epson website (PDF) (http://files.support.epson.com/pdf/ex31__/ex31__ug.pdf), it will accept a 1080p signal via HDMI.

So, in essence, it appears to be a 720p projector...and there's nothing wrong with that. Also, the five reviews for it on ProjectorCentral.com are all positive.

For $500, I say crack it open and enjoy it. :D

DJDiggler
2010-09-04, 12:51 AM
Thanks Eljay, I don't like opening stuff I have no intention of keeping so I wanted to be at least partly convinced to keep it, so I couldn't resist and set it up! On unpainted drywall with way to much reflection from sidewalls, (in other words less than ideal conditions), I was quite impressed! Definitely a bright unit, can't really critique the blacks in those conditions but the picture was more than watchable as it was. Not too loud on eco mode and we were sitting right beside it, (but neither was the speaker, why they would put such a useless thing on there is beyond me).

So far I think I'll be happy! My 4 year old was amazed to the point of being afraid to walk in front of it :). We watched a good bit of Happy Feet and were hooked! I figure I'll get a 1080p 3d projector when more 3d media is available and prices plummet, this is a great first projector till then! For anyone else interested FS has this unit on sale for $550 PM at BB or Staples for $525.