: The Other Guys

eljay
2010-08-22, 01:38 PM
The bizarre deaths of NYC super-cops Danson and Highsmith...create an opportunity for lesser cops on the force to step up, strut their stuff and make names for themselves. And then there's Gamble and Hoitz, two bottom-of-the-barrel misfits who stumble onto a multi-billion-dollar Ponzi scheme and bumble their way to super-cop status.

This formulaic cop/buddy movie features a decent story, a sub-par script and, overall, shoddy assembly. Mark Wahlberg hasn't got the chops for comedy but, thankfully, Will Ferrell does have some, and his (mostly) low-key, dead-pan delivery manages to generate enough chuckles to save this film from being a complete write-off. (Michael Keaton, who was looking somewhat decrepit, was saddled with a small, weak role.)

Hazzard
2010-08-22, 02:36 PM
Your review kind of spoils a moment in the film for people who haven't seen it. Please consider editing this post.

eljay
2010-08-22, 02:46 PM
Your review kind of spoils a moment in the film for people who haven't seen it. Please consider editing this post.Although the first part of the first sentence doesn't state anything that isn't already on Wiki or elsewhere on the Web, I added a spoiler tag to it.

cooper83
2010-08-22, 03:06 PM
A buddy & I walked in with zero expectations after only watching the trailer, and we were sore from laughter 10 minutes into the movie, to the point I couldn't even eat my popcorn. Sure, the jokes are hit 'n' miss and it's too long (like many comedies), but the pairing of Ferrell & Marky Mark is pure gold. Forget the plot - there isn't one!

eljay - did you stay for the closing credits? It surprised me how serious all the facts & figures were compared to this silly comedy we just watched. Interesting stuff, but odd choice given the film.

eljay
2010-08-22, 03:07 PM
... did you stay for the closing credits? It surprised me how serious all the facts & figures were compared to this silly comedy we just watched. Interesting stuff, but odd choice given the film.I did stay for the closing credits and, yes, I have to agree that those facts & figures were interesting but oddly misplaced (given the nature of the movie).

fuzzy32
2010-08-25, 10:31 PM
In my opinion this is Will Ferrel's worst movie. All the best stuff can be seen in the trailer.

cooper83
2010-08-26, 12:07 AM
All the best stuff can be seen in the trailer.

Are you kidding? The tuna/lion bit at the start is legendary.

Dioneo
2010-08-27, 03:06 PM
Joke wise there were a decent number of misses, but more than enough hits to make up for it.