: stupid question: "9", what is it about really? + "Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus"

David Susilo
2010-08-17, 11:59 AM
I watched "9", more than once actually... liked it, but what is it about really? Anybody gets it?

another one that I don't get AT ALL is Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus.

Danster
2010-08-17, 12:01 PM
A war about man versus machines...that's all I can get as well. The characters were cute but story wise, my wife and I both have a different view of what it really is about.

Tezster
2010-08-17, 12:36 PM
The story is kind of open-ended, and the conclusion doesn't really offer much in the way of explanation or closure. The way I like to see it is that the film is a story about redemption i.e. the 'Scientist', having created the machine that ultimately destroys humanity, creates -and imbues his own life force- to his rag-doll creations, while also leaving them with the means to destroy the machine.

2010-08-17, 01:14 PM
The only good thing I can say about "9" is that it's only 79 minutes long and didn't waste more of my time. My wife agreed and didn't see much "point" to the movie, more like a "slice of life" movie. We enjoyed many of Tim's previous movies (he didn't direct). Here's IMDb's take:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0472033/

Here's the synopsis:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0472033/synopsis

life will once again flourish in the world....someday....

David Susilo
2010-08-17, 02:03 PM
yeah, that's exactly how I feel. It's seems like it's a fragment (a story telling genre where there is no real story, just a part/fragment of a full story) rather than a movie.

How about The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus. I like weird, but I can't seem to even go halfway through the movie. It's just too weird for weird's sake.

Danster
2010-08-17, 09:12 PM
As for The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, I haven't seen it but I know they used 3 characters to replace Heath Ledger. I would assume that would add to the confusion of the movie. Wasn't it directed by the Monty Python guy? If so, it can't be as weird as Baron Von mancheusan or something like it.

Edival
2010-08-28, 03:12 PM
I saw the Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus. Directed by Terry Gilliam (of Monty Python and directed Twelve Monkeys and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas).

I liked it, but not sure I'd watch it a second time. Was visually stunning. Not confusing in how they incorporated the 3 actors to replace Heath Ledger. Very hard to explain though.

The ending wrapped things up well, but still kind of felt empty. Though I think that's how it was meant.