: Last of the Mohicans Blu-ray, probable Oct. 5 release date

Tezster
2010-07-31, 06:43 PM
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Last-of-the-Mohicans-Blu-ray/10898/

Been waiting for this one for awhile :)

Gord Lacey
2010-08-03, 11:19 AM
Awesome! This was my first DVD (purchased along with "The Abyss," which also needs a BD release) back in 1999. More significant is the inclusion of bonus material on the BD (Michael Mann is notorious for not doing any bonus material for his movies, apparently that's changed):

Audio: English: 5.1 DTS HD Master Audio
Language: Dubbed: English / Subtitled: English, French & Spanish
Theatrical Aspect Ratio: Widescreen: 2.40:1

-Widescreen Director's Definitive Cut
-Commentary by Director Michael Mann
-Making of The Last of the Mohicans

Very awesome news.

polaris
2010-08-03, 02:05 PM
Sweet. Must buy for me as long as they dont screw up the PQ and AQ.

Tezster
2010-08-03, 02:52 PM
As long as the first few reviews that come out for this disc are favourable, I'll be picking up a copy within the first week of release. I'm not at all impressed with the DVD - the DTS audio sounds really flat to me.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of changes are in the 'definitive cut', seeing as there seem to be multiple 'director's cut' versions around.

jvincent
2010-08-03, 03:36 PM
I'll be picking this one up as well.

The wife will probably enjoy it a lot more than the 15th anniversary edtion of Showgirls.

cfraser
2010-08-03, 03:57 PM
It'll be interesting to see what kind of changes are in the 'definitive cut', seeing as there seem to be multiple 'director's cut' versions around.

Yes, Mann has done some weird stuff to some of his other films on BD so far, mostly with colour-timing...I wish he'd leave them alone. There are some rumours that the theatrical cut might be released on BD in the UK/Europe. I sure wouldn't mind that cut, never available on DVD here, lots of people say it's much better than the ego-cuts. With better dialogue and ending (I forget myself...), not to mention it's the actual award-winning cut.

MarcP
2010-08-11, 12:20 AM
What is the duration of the theatrical cut? The Bluray says 117min so I wonder if it's the version with extended scenes.

jvincent
2010-08-11, 10:10 AM
112 minutes according to IMDB.

cfraser
2010-08-11, 02:35 PM
The length doesn't tell the whole story, least for what I was referring to above.

I don't mind when the director's cut merely *adds* stuff by extending scenes, but changing significant story details is another matter. It's not like it bugs me in this case as I don't have a personal recollection of the theatrical film, it's just that I would like to be able to buy that version if I'm going to get it again (because people say it's good...). Obviously it's not a matter of disc space or even branching, so Mann must have extraordinary control of some of his films for home video.

cfraser
2010-08-12, 10:19 PM
For a really detailed description of the differences between *current* North American DC and European TC see the movie-censorship (.com) site. We don't know what's on the upcoming BD, but it gives you an idea of Mann's direction for changes... What is interesting is that some scenes were longer in the TC, but were chopped in length for the DC (new scenes increase the length).

I am hoping the tradition of the Europeans getting the theatrical cut continues for this latest transfer. Fox has been irregular re the region-free thing though, not that *I* care now :), but for others who may like to see what they remember from years past...

Is this really not a perfect case where the seamless branching capability of BD be used? Instead of using the capabilities to jam our ease of use (most Java stuff)?

Gord Lacey
2010-08-15, 03:46 PM
Of course they could do some kind of branching, but the studios often bend over to please the director when making these edits.