: The Girl Who Played With Fire

Dioneo
2010-07-19, 10:47 AM
The Girl Who Played With Fire is the sequel to The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. It picks up about a year after the events of the first movie. Lisbeth returns to Sweden to tie up some loose ends and all hell breaks loose.

I considered Mikael the main character in TGWtDT. TGWPWF focuses more on Lisbeth and her mysterious/troubled past.

Nothing approaches the unpleasantness of some of the scenes in the first movie, although there are some flashbacks to them. That being said, it's hard to recommend seeing this movie unless you have seen or read TGWtDT.

This movie is about twenty minutes shorter than the first one, and the story isn't nearly as epic. It is still a good movie though and anyone who liked the first should be happy with TGWPWF.

My biggest complaint was with the subtitles. They were white and on more than one occasion the lower portion of the frame goes almost white while dialog is going on and you can't read what is being said.

spec seven
2010-07-19, 11:31 AM
My biggest complaint was with the subtitles. They were white and on more than one occasion the lower portion of the frame goes almost white while dialog is going on and you can't read what is being said.

I noticed this as well. They looked light yellow at my theater and often got washed out depending on the background.

Roland of Gilead
2010-07-19, 11:39 AM
Having read the trilogy I wonder if the movie would be enjoyed by those not having read the book?

I will of course buy the disk when it comes out.

Dioneo
2010-07-19, 12:17 PM
I haven't bothered to read the trilogy yet. I've found that reading a book first often dampens the enjoyment of a movie adaptation.

Going from movie to book works better. Of course the ending is ruined, but you still get the small joy/surprises of details/subplots that had to be chopped in the adaptation.

Roland of Gilead
2010-07-19, 03:39 PM
I liked reading the book and let it fill in the gaps in the movie. The use of, to me, unknown Swedish actors didn't spoil it for me, I had no preconceived notion how the actors should look. One reviewer said to see the movies before Hollywood gets a hold of it.

Fstevens
2010-07-26, 05:25 PM
I noticed this as well. They looked light yellow at my theater and often got washed out depending on the background.
Should that deter me from going to see it at the theatre and wait for the dvd? I have seen the first movie on DVD and read the second the book.

Dioneo
2010-07-26, 09:35 PM
It's only a couple of lines of dialogue. It didn't wreck the movie, just something I hope gets corrected on DVD/Blu-Ray.

mrvanwinkles
2010-10-17, 04:50 PM
Saw it at an independent theatre maybe a month ago.

Yes, I did like the film. Awsome. Subtitles and foreign languages don't bother me - in fact I enjoy seeing something different in a movie.

Yes ... some scenes and content disturbing ... but story and drama was captivating. ( Nice family she's got there ... yeesh )

Liked Lisbeth as a character and the performance of the Actress as well.

She's one tough, smart and savy little lady ...

I had to laugh a little when Lisbeth made fools of the two riff raff biker gang guys (RIFF RAFF) who were gonna get her at the cottage ... then she turns around and steals one of their motorbikes ... and takes off, looking real tough herself ... takes off with the bike like a little biker / gang member herself !

Yaa ! All right Lisbeth ! ... ehh ... cool ...

[ It's a Trilogy isn't it? Three books? Three movies ... maybe? ]

lars
2010-10-17, 07:53 PM
Yes 3 movies. The Girl Who Played with Fire comes out on dvd and blu-ray on Oct 26th and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest has a dvd blu-ray release date on Jan. 4th.

mrvanwinkles
2010-11-06, 12:39 AM
Went to see film #3 of the trilogy at the movie theatre - it's just recently out.

I won't give much away ... but YES! Very good. I like.

And the bad guys get it good. They get their due.

Lisbeth in court ... to Psychologist: "You filthy lying PIG!"
ALLRIGHT ! Ehhh !

Excellent film ... thanks to all involved.

Nuje
2010-11-25, 08:32 PM
In watching the movies after I'd read the books, I had the feeling that I would be completely at a loss as to who was whom and why they were here or there or reacting to whatever if I had not read the books previously.

Has anyone seen the movies without reading the books? Were they lost?

Or was my brain just having trouble keeping up with all of the missing plot and character points that were in the book when I was viewing the movies?

mrvanwinkles
2010-12-06, 06:55 PM
Yes, I watched movies #2 and then #3 without reading any of the books.

Yes, I had to pay close attention to the movies and subtitles and concentrate to follow all the story.

And yes ... still I had a little difficulty following some points. But for the most part able to get most of the details of the stories / plots / sub plots in the movies.

But that is what I liked about these movies. The story (stories) were complex enough, and interesting enough, to draw you in. They hold your attention - and when you get that interested in a movie ... you can't help but pay close attention and concentrate.

Maybe not everyone likes that sort of thing in a movie. I do.

Some attend a movie just to relax and sit back and enjoy the entertainment without having to concentrate or work too hard. That's fine. I enjoy that too at times.

Naturally these sorts of movies are for a more complex adult audience.
(when I went ... it was usually mostly an adult audience)

But I can imagine there's also alot of fairly "young" (maybe even teen), intellectual movie goers who'd like that sort of movie too.

They're just COOL movies. I like.