: 'The Maltese Falcon' & 'The Treasure of the Sierra Madre' Announced for Blu-ray

james99
2010-06-29, 08:43 PM
Here's lookin' at you, Blu! Two more Humphrey Bogart classics are headed for high-definition this October! (http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Disc_Announcements/Warner_Brothers/The_Maltese_Falcon_and_The_Treasure_of_the_Sierra_Madre_Anno unced_for_Blu-ray/4973)

wprager
2010-06-29, 10:49 PM
I remember watching The Maltese Falcon when I was 9 or 10 (my dad wanted me to learn English, so as a kid I watched movies like The Lion in Winter, Cromwell, The Hunchback of Notredam -- *not* the Disneyfied version). One of my favorites, for sure. Hopefully they do a good transfer.

DOn't know much about The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, but isn't that where "steenkin' badges" comes from?

james99
2010-06-29, 11:18 PM
Yes, one of many great quotes.

Treasure of the Sierra Madre is a great movie.

Roland of Gilead
2010-06-29, 11:34 PM
I've seen Maltese Falcon so many times and its always better the next time. I think of these movies, Casablanca, To Have and Have Not plus many others and Bogart gets an Oscar for African Queen? I mean its a good movie but hardly Oscar material compared to some of his other classics.

wprager
2010-06-30, 07:51 AM
He should have gotten *something* for The Caine Mutiny.

Roland of Gilead
2010-06-30, 03:48 PM
How could I have forgotten The Caine Mutiny. "It was the strawberries"

reidw
2010-06-30, 05:59 PM
I've seen Maltese Falcon so many times and its always better the next time. I think of these movies, Casablanca, To Have and Have Not plus many others and Bogart gets an Oscar for African Queen? I mean its a good movie but hardly Oscar material compared to some of his other classics.
Hollywood has a tendency to award Oscars not for an actor's greatest performance but as a way for atoning for not awarding it for the greatest performance. African Queen is in that category for Bogey. By that time he was getting a bit old. Another example was John Wayne for True Grit. He had deserved the Oscar for any one of a number of films before that. He was good in True Grit but not that good.

Getting back to these two releases. Looking forward to both but I have started to become wary of old films on BD. Theoretically they can look as good as any modern film on the medium but unfortunately many haven't. I'll wait for a few reviews before deciding if my DVDs of these two films are worth replacing.

james99
2010-10-24, 03:39 PM
Watched both over the last week. Glad to see classics making it to HD.

Must haves for film buffs.

Roland of Gilead
2010-10-24, 05:17 PM
There is a new collection out now on DVD if you are a fan called:

Humphrey Bogart: The Essential Collection

Its like 24 of his movies on 12 discs

ScaryBob
2010-10-24, 05:24 PM
james99, how is the sound and picture quality compared to previous releases?

james99
2010-10-24, 09:58 PM
There's not a whole lot you can do with old audio. PQ is very good. As good as other B&W movies from same era.

WB does a good job with Classics.