: ON - Ottawa, Vanier, Gloucester, Orleans - OTA

vejostde
2011-09-01, 10:50 PM
WROC is from Rochester NY. Its RF channel is 45. I think I picked it up last week. That's a pretty good tropo catch.

Trip
2011-09-01, 10:50 PM
8.1 WROC-TV (Only at night. cannot find this on tvfool. anyone know where this is from?

Rochester, NY. You got some good ducting over the lake!

- Trip

ktg
2011-09-01, 11:08 PM
WROC is from Rochester NY. Its RF channel is 45. I think I picked it up last week. That's a pretty good tropo catch.
yes I scanned it in at 45 but it later showed up as 8.1. (wow, it is not on my TVfool report) and yes great tropo catch. is there any possibility of getting this channel consistently? Might move my antenna outside but I might lose about 5 ft in height as I don't plan on climbing on my roof.

beverly
2011-09-02, 12:11 AM
Finally have Global HD. My tv is a Samsung and Globals signal is 40 - 50 %.
My build 2460 Southvale Cr K1C7L6 (Back of building) [4th floor] which i'm not in line of sight of CF. I had a ******** pre-amp hooked up but I slowly found out I don't need a pre-amp ever since the shutdown so I disconnect it leaving me with no amp/pre-amp and a cheap 4 bay ******** antenna. I ended up searching how to make a CH 6 antenna and found a dipole design for CH 6.

OK so to experiment, I got a coax cable, two coat hangers, two screws, two washers, and a 2x4. I straightened the coat hangers straight and sanded them down to metal and screwed them end tip to end tip (not touching) [T shape] with one lead of the coax cable going to one side and the other going to the other side. I positioned the newly made antenna out side attached to the the railing sticking out (horizontal) and a vertical position [up down] with the antennas (the center lead going towards the upper portion of the stick/antenna).

So far I'm picking up all the station with no problems (sometimes pixelates on Global)

Now I'm either just going to sell my other antennas and pre-amp and just either make a diploe or buy one. Hope this helps with some of you trying to get Global.

http://www.google.ca/search?aq=f&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=vertical+dipole

renegade73
2011-09-02, 01:23 AM
beverly, why would you use a vertical dipole? As far as I know, all of the antennas used for transmission are horizontally polarized so you would be losing some signal by having a vertical antenna.

flavoie
2011-09-02, 02:06 AM
mrvanwinkles, SRC has moved to vhf 9 (from uhf 22) along with CTV staying at VHF 13. Any 4 bay antenna is usually not very good at VHF. You could try rabbit ears and size it specially for channel 13, or make your own dipole and also size it for channel 13. If it works, just combine both antenna using a UVSJ or dual input preamp.

You must now understand why you used to get SRC but not anymore. Your antenna must be way better at channel 22 than 9.

HWP
2011-09-02, 03:12 AM
Mr Vanwinkles,

Did you remember to do a complete re-scan (not just an add scan)?

mike infinity
2011-09-02, 07:15 AM
I did rescan and picked up Vpt (vermont public television)...another PBS network. It was very choppy though. I don't get it this AM. My global signal is now weaker though. I might just put the 302sr outside and out of my attic.

charettepa
2011-09-02, 07:56 AM
ctv2 still not working
anyone else in that boat
it was perfect the first 12 hours on the 31st
and hasnt been clear since

flavoie
2011-09-02, 09:17 AM
CTV2 chro didn't look gpod last night for me either. Choppy video and intermittent uncorrectable errors.

Refined
2011-09-02, 09:26 AM
I've given up on CHRO.
I'm in the Anderson/Mitch Owens area.
I don't receive it at all although it does pick up as a channel.

Actually waiting for a new antenna but I'm afraid the line of sight here is too low for the position of the transmitter. I'll see if the new antenna makes a difference.

CTV2 is the only channel not coming in at all now, even Global signal strength has improved to where it doesn't pixelate or cut out.

I have to say my wife and I are amazed at the reception quality we now receive for the other channels. Used to be an issue with snow, poor quality... but no more. Thank the gods for Digital.

Norman

backpackster
2011-09-02, 09:34 AM
Global appears to have done some tweaking. For the first time my LG picks up Global with an normal autoscan. I no longer have to add it manually after every scan.

Keej613
2011-09-02, 10:26 AM
Again, I'm sorry if this is a dumb question but here goes:

Outside of my house, I can see where the Rogers coaxial cable connects with the coaxial cable running through my home. (The previous owners had Rogers cable TV and internet.)

If I installed an external antenna, would it simply be a questions of connecting it to the coaxial cable (outside) that is currently connected to Rogers' cable?

Another (probably dumb) question: Does it matter how long the cable that connects the antenna to the TV is? I have an indoor antenna but the cable is pretty short. Would getting an extension cable so that I can place the antenna further in the house be a good idea? Or would that degrade the signal too much?

Thanks again, folks! I'm not super tech-inclined so I appreciate your help!

charettepa
2011-09-02, 10:37 AM
if the cable is rg6 you should be ok
if its rg59 its too thin and you will loose quality
basically if its fairly new you should be ok

length does matter, yes
the shorter the better

if its very long you may want to use a pre-amp

old sparks
2011-09-02, 10:43 AM
I'm not having much luck with CJOH. As I do pick up Global on RF6 really well, I was expecting CJOH on RF13 would be just as good.

I'm only 3.3 miles from HC, so I can practically pick up all of the HC stations by touching the coax center conductor.

I'm hoping to mount a homebrew 4 bay 'Mclapp' outside in the next few weeks to see if I can reel in the elusive WWNY on RF18, now that all the strong analogue stations have vacated the UHF band...

va3rr/aa8lu

mark.montreuil
2011-09-02, 10:48 AM
I added the rabbit ears last night, Global went from detected with no picture to a medium signal that I can watch. I also get CBOFT and CJOH. I did not notice a negative effect on the UHF reception, but will try adding a UVSJ to see if the situation gets any better. I live in centretown.

mark m

AnalogMig
2011-09-02, 10:56 AM
As stated in a previous post from yesterday or the day before, I had an angled antenna (CM4220) with a heavy horizontal and vertical tilt sitting on the top of my roof (running 75 feet of Coax). In other words it was slanted and pointed upwards at about 35-40 degrees. I was getting PBS with a steady signal in the evenings from two stations + all locals.

I was told that the horizontal slant was not good. Hence, I repositioned the antenna, levelled it horizontally, and lowered the vertical tilt so it now points directly at SE by E parallel to the ground. SE by E points directly at channel 38.

The antenna is 25 feet in the air TV fool results can be found here:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d83873b29ca7da0

All local channels are coming in at 80% or more; a slight improvement. However, I no longer get PBS; either . When auto scanning, the scanner will stop at the PBS channels much longer than others but still say it is not strong enough. Channel 38 and 23

Hence, I should have left my antenna the way it was. Unless the rain clouds from yesterday evening had something to do with it. I scanned again this morning and still did not get PBS.

Hopefully the pre-amp I ordered will change that. (CM 7778 pre amp)

Where is SUN TV? Is it gone for good?

If the preamp changes nothing, I'm upgrading to the CM 4221HD.

My ultimate goal is to say good-bye to Bell TV. However, for that to happen I need a few American channels.

gmd
2011-09-02, 11:00 AM
ktg, you should also get WNPI (real 23, 18-1, 18-2, 18-3) more reliably than other US stations. There is also WNYF (real 18, 28-1 Fox, 28-2 CBS). In order or reliability, it should be WNPI, WCFE, WNYF and WWTI. With the tropo these days, you could get CBMT and WPBS. I have also seen CKMI.

Regarding Global, I have a Bell 6141 that reports a signal around 65%, but no channel. Other devices stop on channel 6, but don't find any channels.

Some people reported the channel coming in last night, I will check to see if it comes up.

I've only see it once, two night ago.

-gmd

flavoie
2011-09-02, 11:09 AM
Keej613, If you want to pursue this, you need to make absolutely sure that you disconnect the cable from the Rogers coax network completely if you do this. You don't want to cause interference to their coax network because your signal leaks in their stuff.

check this thread
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=65268

tvlurker
2011-09-02, 11:21 AM
oldsparks, according to your TVFool, you have a 50dB difference between channel 17 and channel 18 at your location, and only 18 degrees difference in azimuth.

Do you get WNPI today? That's a 43 dB difference to between 22 and 23, at the same 18 degree difference.

Do you think phased, identical antennas at different azimuths could null out HC for you?
I have a similar situation, but for me WCFE is on one side of HC and South Colton is on the other.