: Help? Screen Burn issue?

wowmusic
2010-06-10, 02:49 PM
I recently bought a 5-in 1-out HDMI switch from Blue Jeans Cable. It works great except a very weird issue - Say I am watching a BD concert via PS3 (Switch 1) and left my LCD TV on with the BD main menu for 15 mins. Then I switch to another source - DVD player (Switch 2) while my kid watches Dora the Explorer.

I was able to see some "shadow" of my previous BD menu on my LCD TV (e.g. on the top right portion of my TV), while Dora the Explorer is playing. This seems to be the common screen burn issue with Plasma TVs, but when I switch Channel (from HDMI) to Cable TV (using component IN), the "shadow" is gone. However, when I switch back to HDMI channel, I can see it again.

Is that an issue with my TV, or the switch?

hugh
2010-06-10, 02:54 PM
Burn in is not common with Plasma, so please rid your self of that fallacy.

Anyway, regarding your situation. LCD televisions are not known for image retention so I'm not sure what it would be.

How long does the shadow last? What is the make/model of LCD?

2010-06-10, 02:58 PM
Here's the FAQ on Burn in. LCDs don't have burn in, or any real image retention beyond say a second.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=21270

I suspect there may be some "cross-talk" on the switch? What happens when you disconnect the PS3 from the switch or unplug the PS3's power?

wowmusic
2010-06-10, 06:20 PM
I perform some further testing this afternoon.

I played a High School Musical BD (with pop-up menu ON) for 20 mins, then I switch to another source (my DVD player). No matter what I am playing, or even I pressed STOP on DVD player - I can still see a shadow/retented image of HSM3 on my LCD TV. This only happen in HDMI channel (which my LCD has only 1 HDMI input), does not occur in component, S-video, or TV channels.

The shadow lasted for quite long, at least for this recent experiment - it is over an hour. My LCD was Acer 37" 1080p LCD TV bought in 2005.

I tried to unplug the power of the HDMI switch for a few minutes, and upon plugged back in, the shadow is still here.

I also tried to unplug the HDMI cable from the HDMI switch, and connect it directly to my DVD player. Same thing (shadow is there).

hugh
2010-06-10, 08:27 PM
Did you try it without the switch as 57 recommended?

wowmusic
2010-06-10, 10:28 PM
Hugh,

Without switch (i.e. PS3 directly connected to TV via HDMI), no issue.

ScaryBob
2010-06-11, 06:45 AM
It's likely the switch. What happens if the PS3 in turned off? Disconnected from the switch? Plugged into a different port?

hugh
2010-06-18, 08:10 AM
Without switch (i.e. PS3 directly connected to TV via HDMI), no issue.

Problem found.