: Shaw offering me deal on hardware

mike70sk
2010-05-20, 07:59 PM
I currently own a Motorola box DCT-3416 T They will sell me this for 148
They told this is the best box they have. Can anybody confirm this?
I think future shop sells them on sale for 300. so this appears to me as a good deal. What do other people think, good deal? I know it was new one when they installed it and not a refurb one. I get 3 years warranty. This will save me 10 bucks a month on the rental, and pay for it self in 15 months.

I'm just wondering are the coming out with new box that are capable of 1080p and if so will they ever have 1080p? also will these new boxes have better menus and stuff?

Some time the box freezes when your trying to change channels or freezes when you try to delete. I went to a store and they said they have the same thing happened to them. so i don't think this is specific to just my box

They are also offering me the pvr expander for 69 bucks. i think its a good deal cus future shop sells this for 150. I was told my box can use it. Will i loose what i have recorded to my internal drive when i hook it up?

All and all this seems to be a good a deal. I just want some feed back to make sure im not missing something?

Thanks

adiabatic
2010-05-20, 08:32 PM
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=124518

Basically they're trying to sell you 3-5 year old technology so they can clear out stock. I'd pass and wait for a DCX.

CHrisCHu
2010-05-20, 08:34 PM
I assume you mean Shaw offers to sell you your current Moto 3416 rental? If that's the case, I'm interested in a similar deal for my Pace box as it seems like I am the only Pace user who has no problem with blank 1-min recordings and I've already got tons of recordings with this box that I want to keep. Yes, you should be able to play all your recordings made with that box from that box as long as you stay with Shaw.

Regarding box freeze, all the currently available boxes freeze at times. We will see if the new Moto coming out will do the same. My bet is it will.

Regarding 1080p, I don't think any network broadcast will go 1080p any time soon. That said, it's not impossible for cable movie channels/VOD to go 1080p24. I used to have Comcast in the US and before they cleared the "free" bit in their movie channel VOD streams, I managed to capture terabytes of movies from HBO/Showtime/Starz/Cinemax, etc. where many of those movie streams were 24fps. Theoretically, a new box can be programmed to output 1080p24. Other than that I don't think you'll see 1080p60 broadcast any time soon.

mike70sk
2010-05-20, 10:15 PM
adiabatic I would have to pay a lot more for this new technology. Do you know of any benefits it will have over the old box that makes it worth paying 3 times as much for? The guy with the pace yes this is the box that im renting and was brand new as i saw the installer remove it from a new box. If i buy at 148 the resell wont go down to much as somebody here is always looking for any type of hd box for Shaw.

g011um
2010-05-20, 11:52 PM
Here's my post from the HD Plus thread (http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=121998&page=11), which outlines the deals Shaw is offering HD Plus customers in Saskatoon (now that they are going to start charging us for it)

Got my letter today. No more "free trial" (which I've had for like 2 years) of HD Plus in Saskatoon. Cost to continue is $12 per month.

The letter offered one of the following 3 "great options" (i.e. shiny bobbles to appease my rage):

an HD box for $78, or an HDPVR for $148, or
free 12 month upgrade from 7.5 Mbps high speed to 15 Mbps Extreme, or
free 2010/2011 NFL Sunday Ticket

They also mentioned the 1TB PVR expander for $69 (actually quite interested in this).

I hate to agree with mike70sk, but $150 for an HDPVR, even if it's old tech, still seems like a decent deal. I paid $500 for my 6416 about 3 years ago, and that was discounted $100. Anything new they come out with will likely be at least that much. I'm thinking about #1 as well as the cheap PVR expander for my current 6416.

CHrisCHu
2010-05-21, 03:27 AM
I see. I don't think I can get similar deal in Vancouver though.

mike70sk
2010-05-22, 12:23 AM
CHrisCHu i think the reason there doing this in Saskatoon is b/c we were all getting hdplus for free and now are bills are going up 12 dollars. Which is a big difference from a 3 dollar increase. I guess they think if people invest in the box they will likely stay with Shaw and not go to sasktel. I was angry with Shaw over the 12 dollar increase but now that offered me this deal i feel better about things and will stay with Shaw But yes not fair for people in Vancouver.

mike70sk
2010-06-02, 06:57 PM
i bought my box and the installer is coming with the expander. with both taxes it was only 238.70 for the both and free install. i think its a great deal.

Nanuuk
2010-06-02, 07:45 PM
I think it is too. Good for you, you won't be disappointed.

satanshollow
2010-06-03, 03:32 PM
I'd love to get another 3416 for only $148! We have another HD TV but no HD tuner so its kinda of a waste. I don't really want to spend $300-350 at FS.