: USB ATSC tuner backwards compatible with analog?

Anteater
2010-04-23, 03:03 PM
I bought a Monoprice ATSC tuner for $30 to use in Quebec City (ste foy) this summer, but in the OTA reception forum I asked and Global and CBC were both analog. I thought the ATSC would be backward compatible with NTSC/analog, and I just tried it in my laptop and it couldn't pick up either of the two (weak signal) analog channels here. Does this mean it's not? :confused:

Edit: Link got censored? but here's the description for what it's worth:

Instantly turn your PC into a high definition digital entertainment center. This simple USB plug and play device and included software transforms you PC in to a ATSC digital television and DVR. Watch high definition digital terrestrial broadcasts in all it's glory in resolutions up to 1080i. The included tv viewer software is simple and intuitive. Time shift your TV viewing by pausing, fast forwarding and recoding your programs with the DVR feature. The included credit card sized remote makes switching channels and settings a snap.

* Supports up to 1920x1080i (HDTV).
* Supports Dolby Digital AC3 broadcasts.
* Pause, rewind and fast forward live TV.
* Supports EPG electronic program guide.
* Supports DVR function.
* Includes USB TV tuner, remote control, antenna, manual and software CD.

magnet
2010-04-23, 03:08 PM
Not backwards compatible.
You needed an NSTC/ATSC tuner in this case.

If the box doesn't say NTSC it is not analog capable.

You'll have to wait a few years to reap the rewards of your purchase.

Anteater
2010-04-23, 03:11 PM
Do you know of any good ones?

stampeder
2010-04-23, 03:14 PM
Well, the entire HTPC forum has threads devoted to the topic, so this is the one you want:

USB2.0 Digital TV Tuners (http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=49381)

Anteater
2010-04-23, 03:30 PM
I went for a $20 one on Dealextreme, if it works that's good enough... I can always get a better antenna to plug into it anyway and it won't work anymore after the transition to digital so $20 for a temporary TV solution doesn't seem too bad. Picked up a FM transmitter for the car as well ;)

j0dest3r
2010-04-24, 01:22 PM
I have the Hauppauge HVR-950Q USB stick. It supports ATSC/NTSC and even QAM. I really like it. I have not watched much NTSC stuff with it but it does work. It supports Windows 7MC natively and is basically plug and play under Windows 7.