: Superchannel vs. MC/HBO/TMN (Split from Justified on SC)

Pages : [1] 2

JohnnyCanuck
2010-04-08, 12:16 AM
Nuje, you're confusing TMN with SC. MC and TMN split the country and, when it comes to first run series from HBO or Showtime both carry the same content. SuperChannel is a competing network available nationally and likely available to you as an addition to your subscription. There is no monopoly at play, SC was just the successful purchaser of the program. If you want SC, you just have to choose to pay for it.

What bothers me more is the constant delay between Canadian airings of programs like this and the original air dates in the US. One thing that can be said positively about MC/HBO and TMN is that they air this stuff contemporaneously with the originating network. SuperChannel, Showcase, Bravo, etc. give us annoying and inexcusable delays. Four episodes of Justified have already aired on FX.

ScaryBob
2010-04-08, 02:18 AM
SC, aka SuperChannel, is a national service. However, it costs an extra $10-$15/mo. They like to take non-premium content, like Justified, and air it without commercials to justify their existence. Justified is on FX in the US.

Nuje
2010-04-09, 02:40 AM
Sorry - my bad. :(
I know that TMN is the equivalent of MC here in the West. I just totally blanked on the fact that SC is the new national "premium" (ahem, ahem) movie channel.

SuperChannel used to be the East Coast movie specialty channel, though, right? Back in the olden days...?

nfldanchor
2010-04-13, 07:49 PM
I guess some people are blinded by all the ritz and glitz ads of HBO & TMN. I personally had both services and I have to say that superchannel has a better selection of movies and series. They aren't on par regarding ondemand , but they make up in overall programming. Southland is also another great series to watch weekly. When you get TMN you are getting HBO remixed with a few decent movies that are shown too many times. I prefer decent movies including some foreign films that aren't shown on tmn. The reason I switched to superchannel was because I found it more enjoyable.:) Some people may put down superchannel but I feel that it is a great alternative and you should all at least give it a chance.

digital_rookie
2010-04-15, 02:30 PM
The "original" Superchannel was sold by the Allard Family (WIC) in the late 1990's to Corus and eventually rebranded to Movie Central.

The "original" TMN was called "First Choice" but was rebranded as TMN in the late 1980's.

This has been covered off many times in the threads here but here's a very quick summary.
When originally launched in 1983, both First Choice and Superchannel services had a patchwork of provinces in which they provided services. Some provinces had access to both services, others only one.

After the first six months of operation, both services were virtually bankrupt. They approached the CRTC with a regional monopoly suggestion where Superchannel took the West (MB-BC plus the Territories) and First Choice to Eastern Canada (ON-NF). Superchannel's broadcast centre was in Edmonton and First Choice's broadcast centre was in Toronto, so this made sense.

Fast forward to 2005. The Allard Family applied for and got a license for a new National Pay TV service. By the time they launched, the re-aquired the "Superchannel" name from Corus and launched their service.

Superchannel remains the only National pay tv service, while Movie Central and TMN remain
regional players.

nfldanchor
2010-04-18, 11:11 PM
SC, aka SuperChannel, is a national service. However, it costs an extra $10-$15/mo. They like to take non-premium content, like Justified, and air it without commercials to justify their existence. Justified is on FX in the US.
I called up Rogers and got superchannel for 11.99 mth for a year. I call that a great price for a movie service that includes concerts,boxing events , a good movie selection , and a number of great series. Best of all theres no HBO which is a bonus. Tmn has become HBO and its content is full of HBO filler that has downgraded their service. Mpix is extra while Superchannel also has a great selection of movies from the past mixed in with newer ones for a lower price. Check the guide and compare the content and you will see which is the better deal . I was paying 19.95 per mth and now i'm paying 11.99 ,now that a big difference! To conclude, i'm happy I took the time to switch to superchannel.

dm_4u
2010-04-22, 02:13 PM
As much as I like Southland, The Closer and would like to watch Justified...these are a few reasons why a switch to SuperChannel for me...is not "Justified" :cool:

Original programming:
Off the top of my head...The Sopranos, Deadwood, Six Feet Under, Band of Brothers, The Pacific, Bob Costas, The Wire, Sex and the City, Oz, Arliss, Rome, BAD, WCB, Bill Maher, Entourage, True Blood and Hung...and that's just HBO...

MC carries Showtime and Starz series such as Dexter, Californication, Sparticus, Nurse Jackie and it used to carry the HBO series until HBO came to Canada.

BTW...both channels carry the series LIVE...(as in at the same time they are broadcast in the US.

I hope the mods don't crucify us for heading off the thread track...but to me SuperChannel would only be considered as a supplement...not even close to a direct competitor to MC/HBO!

Blackloz
2010-04-22, 07:22 PM
Thats why Both is always the best option>

admin
2010-04-25, 09:13 PM
Number of inflammatory posts removed. Lets stick to the topic at hand and no flames.

SportsFan
2010-04-27, 02:37 PM
Original programming:
Off the top of my head...The Sopranos, Deadwood, Six Feet Under, Band of Brothers, The Pacific, Bob Costas, The Wire, Sex and the City, Oz, Arliss, Rome, BAD, WCB, Bill Maher, Entourage, True Blood and Hung...and that's just HBO...Most of those series have ended.

JohnnyCanuck
2010-04-27, 03:27 PM
Some of those have ended but the point's valid: Entourage, Treme, The Pacific, True Blood, Big Love, Eastbound and Down, Hung, In Treatment, Curb Your Enthusiam and then you add the Showtime programs on MC like Californication, Gravity, Dexter, Nurse Jackie, Spartacus, Penn & Teller.

DSgamby
2010-07-05, 10:35 PM
SC doesn't do it for me either. Not one single thing on SC I want to see. TMN and HBO on the other hand, has movies and series I want to see.

Everyone has their opinion on TMN/HBO and SC. It is up to the person to decide what they want to spend their money on.

jimbo42
2010-07-05, 11:49 PM
Agreed DSgamby but having mostly, if not all the blockbuster movies from virtually all major Hollywood studios gives TMN a huge edge . Super Channel has exactly 0 blockbuster movies on or coming anytime soon and haven't since they decided to drop 20th Century Fox last year.

tofinoguy
2010-07-08, 12:00 AM
I like SC for the wide range of series that they offer. I tend to subscribe to SC year-round, and then add in MC/HBO in the fall only to catch up on Entourage, Hung and watch Dexter. Neither of them really have great movies although some of the "unknown" stuff on SC is pretty good.

jimbo42
2010-07-09, 02:29 PM
Neither of them really have great movies although some of the "unknown" stuff on SC is pretty good.

Your kidding right? Your being sarcastic I assume because TMN has pretty well "ALL" of the theatrical blockbusters from virtually all of the big Hollywood studios on its service. Some of the blockbusters are great and some are just ok but to say TMN doesn't have great movies on is not true at all. Go to there website and browse through their movies and you will see just how many great movies they have on, they have quite a few lol. I have both services and the only thing I watch on Super Channel is the boxing, the mma and the odd movie, mostly horror films but other than that TMN/HBO gets 95% of my viewing.

doglips
2010-07-09, 08:35 PM
Hey jimbo you do understand that not everyone shares your definition of "great"? :rolleyes:

Some of us aren't seduced by the words "hollywood" and "blockbuster" and actually enjoy lesser known, independent and foreign movie offerings and for those Super Channel is the only way to go.

jimbo42
2010-07-10, 02:38 AM
Are you guys actually reading my posts here thoroughly? Again I have "both" services or are you guys just ignoring that fact? I like both, as a matter of fact I was on the Super Channel bandwagon about a year and a half ago and if you go through some of my past posts you would see that I praised SC up, down and sideways. Now I can no longer do this because they have gone downhill content wise there's no question about that, that's a fact.They do not have the subscribers and the budget to compete with TMN, that's a fact also as this was stated to me by none other than SC. They offer alternative programming which of course some people will like, unfortunately it's very few who enjoy it as seen by there subscriber numbers.You see what has to be done in order to get these subs? Cable providers have to offer cheap rates for SC and that is the main reason you steelnikel subscribed to there service otherwise I'm guessing you wouldn't have thought twice about it. Unfortunately most people are not interested in there programming. I'm happy your happy with SC, good for you guys, enjoy it. I'm sure if your cable operator offered that same deal for TMN you would have taken them up on that offer instead. For the last time I have both TMN and Super Channel and have had both for as long as my provider has had them available.

Hey jimbo you do understand that not everyone shares your definition of "great"?

Some of us aren't seduced by the words "hollywood" and "blockbuster" and actually enjoy lesser known, independent and foreign movie offerings and for those Super Channel is the only way to go.

I didn't specifically mention any one or more movie as great, I only said some of the movies are great and some are ok in a general sense. What's wrong with you guys understanding this? Enjoy SC.

BTW TMN also has lesser known, independent and foreign movie offerings as well.

crazycanuck
2010-07-22, 10:44 PM
Currently I sub to MC but as soon as Netflix streaming is availble this Fall that is the route I will go.

jimbo42
2010-08-04, 12:56 AM
Looks like Super Channel has beaten TMN to the punch again and has acquired the rights to 20Th Century Fox films. A surprise for sure since I was told in an email some time ago that they would not sign an exclusive because of budget restraints but I guess they changed there minds looking at there website they are premiering Australia, Street-fighter, Marley & Me and other Fox films this month.

smegger2000
2010-08-05, 01:38 AM
All these Fox movies have been on Blu/DVD for over a year now so Superchannel is at least 6 months behind in getting these out. Maybe the longer they wait the cheaper they become for them to buy. They will maybe be able to get Avatar by 2015.