: Blu-ray rom drive

avengine
2010-04-19, 01:06 PM
I want to add a blu-ray rom drive into the htpc, it is about $60, did anyone try this before and would be difficult to use, usually do they come with any software to play the disc.
thanks.

hugh
2010-04-19, 01:12 PM
I have an LG that is also a DVD burner but they all come with basic blu-ray playback software. Just make sure your monitor and graphics card are compatible

jvincent
2010-04-19, 01:36 PM
Just to confirm what hugh said, yes, they usually come with playback S/W.

However, that S/W is usually missing some important features and is often a couple of versions behind.

Case in point, my BluRay drive came with PDVD8. I had to pay to upgrade to PDVD9 Ultra, which as it turns out is a POS.

I ended up buying Arcsoft TMT3 Platinum, which so far has been much better than PDVD9. I would just bite the bullet and buy that. You will save yourself some frustration.

avengine
2010-04-19, 02:46 PM
the video is from the MB intel 915, and the monitor rightnow is just 1280x768, would there be any problem?
how much is the software upgrade that you mention? i plan to upgrade on x'mas to 52-60"
is it worth all this change, since i know some stand alone player is now below $100.
thanks.

hugh
2010-04-19, 02:59 PM
avengine, buy a standalone player, it will be much cheaper in the long run.

jvincent
2010-04-19, 06:25 PM
hugh is correct a standalone is the least expensive option.

You will need to upgrade the MB, CPU, etc and by the time you are done you will have spent more than a standalone.

TorontoColin
2010-04-24, 07:25 PM
For anyone else considering a blu-ray drive, Cyberlink has an application you can download off their site which tests your PC for blu-ray playback. It's not fool-proof but it's a good start.

My Lite-on blu-ray drive came with PowerDVD 8 which has played everything I've tried (including District 9).

danbcman
2010-04-24, 09:38 PM
I just put a CH10LS20 into my computer it also reads and writes in three types of DVD formats in one convenient package – DVD+R, DVD-R and DVD-RAM and has lightscribe. It has been a great improvement for me and my first Bluray rom into the computer the PDVD8 is fine all I need for play back.

Michael DeAbreu
2010-04-27, 02:34 PM
I was reading that Avatar's DRM could prevent it from playing. For standalone players, this is solved with a firmware upgrade. But with an HTPC, is this going to be a firmware upgrade of the BD-ROM drive or an upgrade to the player software? If the latter, how does that work if I only have the version of powerDVD 8 usually provided with the drive. Unlike the full version of powerDVD 9 it doesn't allow many upgrades.

jvincent
2010-04-27, 02:55 PM
The updates are required to the player.

At some point they stop updating the version of the S/W that ships with the drive and you are required to buy a new version. The retail versions get upgrades on a regular basis, the same as the standalone players.

How regular will vary from player to player.