: HTPC video card won't re-sync when TV is reconnected.

TechieFreak
2010-04-18, 02:36 AM
I've been searching forums looking to see if any body else has this problem, but I can't find any others.

I use the HDMI output of an Nvidia GT220, which connects to my LG TV's HDMI input, through a Yamaha receiver's HDMI switch.

I typically leave the HTPC running all the time so that it can record shows (via the Hauppage 2250 tuner).

I will frequently be connected to other sources, such as the TV tuner or the PS3.

My problem is when I switch over the Yamaha and TV's inputs to connect to the HTPC, the TV indicates that there is no connection/no source. The HTPC is responding to keystrokes and mouse movement (the LED on the infrared receiver responds), as well as the hard drive activity LED flashes. So I know that the PC is still running.

But the only way I can video back is by rebooting the PC, which will re-initialize the HDMI connection. This is not what I would consider the ideal situation as I could be interrupting a show being recorded.

I've checked the video settings, the OS (Win7) sleep settings, ensured that the monitor never goes to sleep. Has anyone else encountered this? Does anyone have a solution?

Tikker
2010-04-18, 03:06 AM
what does it do if you take the receiver out of the equation?

TechieFreak
2010-04-18, 03:25 AM
To do that would mean to connect the HTPC's HDMI output directly to the TV, and then have the audio come from the TV's digital fibre link to the amp.

Usually that isn't a problem, as digital fibre does carry 5.1 audio. However, to bypass the amp means that I'd have to come up with some other kind of configuration for the PS3, which must be connected to the amp via HDMI to be able to use the 7.1 audio. On the PS3 the only way 7.1 audio comes out, is through the HDMI connection.

I will attempt your config, for the sake of testing it to see what happens. However, I have doubts of the results, as the HDMI link is still broken, although at the TV, rather than at the receiver. I will update my findings tomorrow morning.

jvincent
2010-04-18, 08:47 AM
Sounds like a handshake issue. Have you checked for a firmware update for the receiver and/or TV?

Tikker
2010-04-18, 02:49 PM
well but then you'll know if it's a problem with the tv or the receiver

stampeder
2010-04-18, 05:45 PM
I have an nVidia GT220 running on my MythTV Frontend Linux box and it often goes to sleep when the mouse or keyboard have not been used for long periods. Apps keep running and the machine is accessible by SSH and other means, but the video card goes dark. It is connected by HDMI to my Onkyo AVR then over HDMI to my HDTV. It never happens while paused during a recorded program, even if I leave it for an hour or so.

I've tried all the BIOS and OS power settings possible including disabling DPMS in the nVidia settings. I've tried all the AVR and HDTV settings too but no luck. I've tried manually unplugging/plugging the HDMI cables and no luck.

Based on all that my hunch is that it is something in the nVidia drivers, which I've updated and have been tweaking. I'll test with the Open Source drivers and see if it happens, but I really prefer to stay with nVidia's own driver set because of the wonderful vdpau capabilities. Maybe I'll have to write a keepalive program that tricks it.

Wayne
2010-04-19, 12:44 AM
I don't know that this is much consolation to you but it appears that Win7 does have sync issues. I have a similar setup although I use component from my HTPC to my Yamaha amp and then to my Sony TV. When Win7 Media Center was left active and you switch back to this input after a while it appears that Win7 has changed the video resolution to something much smaller, something like 640x480 as you only seem a small portion of the total Media Center screen. This does not appear to happen if Win7 MC was not running in fullscreen mode - the problem I am having seems to be directly related to Win7 MC.

Do you typically use Win7 MC in fullscreen and switch inputs with it running? If you kill Win 7 MC before changing inputs does it make a difference (note that the Win7 MC app doesn't need to be running to record shows). If you don't use MC then I guess the whole point is moot.

Other potential solutions are using component or VGA video outputs, although those can have downsides as well.

Tikker
2010-04-19, 01:31 PM
I have a couple pc running win7 mc and don't see this issue ever so I'm nit sure I'd lay the blame there

Wayne
2010-04-19, 01:59 PM
The Green Button has several threads on this, as does AVS. This may depend on your receiver or on other factors, like Media Center using a different resolution than your desktop.

Here is the solution posted on those sites - hopefully this works for you aas well.

Here's is a step by step guide that you may follow.

LAST REVISION: 11/25/2009.

First of all, the OBJECTIVE: to force a .inf file that will be the new monitor driver for the AVR HDMI display device.

So here are the steps:

1. DONWLOAD AND INSTALL MONINFO: get it from here. http://www.entechtaiwan.com/files/moninfo.exe

2.GET AVR EDID:
- CONNECT THE GRAPHIC CARD TO HDAV HDMI-IN AND HDMI-OUT TO AVR, as usual (for non-HDAV users just connect from GRAPHIC CARD TO AVR). If you can't handshake the HDAV with the AVR, just connect directly from the graphic card HDMI out to the AVR.
- RUN MONINFO AND GET EDID FROM AVR: in my case it's a DENON 988. So I look for first entry in Display IDs window with the tag "DENON-AVAMP" and "[Real time ...].
- SELECT File->Create INF and SAVE TO AVR.inf.

3. OVERRIDE MONITOR DRIVER WITH MODIFIED AVR.inf FILE:
(I will show the procedure for 2 monitors, but works just the same for one. Procedure is for Windows 7)

- Right click on desktop and select "Personalize".
- Click on Display->Change display settings.
- Now click on the Screen of the AVR display.
- Click on "Advanced settings"
- Select Monitor Tab and click on "Properties".
- Select Driver Tab and click on "Update Driver"
- Select "Browse my computer for driver updates".
- Select "Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer".
- Click on "Have Disk".
- Click on "Browse".
- Navigate to directory with the display device .inf file (Note: just in case, make sure that it's THE ONLY .inf file in that directory).
- Click on Open, OK, and install the new driver.
- Reboot.

stlouisubntu
2011-07-02, 06:09 PM
I have an nVidia GT220 running on my MythTV Frontend Linux box and it often goes to sleep when the mouse or keyboard have not been used for long periods. Apps keep running and the machine is accessible by SSH and other means, but the video card goes dark. It is connected by HDMI to my Onkyo AVR then over HDMI to my HDTV. It never happens while paused during a recorded program, even if I leave it for an hour or so.

I've tried all the BIOS and OS power settings possible including disabling DPMS in the nVidia settings. I've tried all the AVR and HDTV settings too but no luck. I've tried manually unplugging/plugging the HDMI cables and no luck.

Based on all that my hunch is that it is something in the nVidia drivers, which I've updated and have been tweaking. I'll test with the Open Source drivers and see if it happens, but I really prefer to stay with nVidia's own driver set because of the wonderful vdpau capabilities. Maybe I'll have to write a keepalive program that tricks it.
@stampeder,

I know that this is an old thread, but I have the same problem, friend, and I was hoping that you might share your solution with me (if you found one.) I too am running mythtv using a GT220 1 GB card connected via HDMI cable to my Vizio GV47L HDTV. Anytime I change inputs on the TV away from the HDMI input to which the GT220 is connected the GT220 stop sending a signal to the TV (as it is no longer receiving EDID data from the TV.) The only way to restore the signal is to reboot the PC with the TV on with the GT220 HDMI input selected. The same thing happens when the PC is booted with the TV not turned on or with the TV on and the GT220/HDMI input not selected. I send a support request to PNY (as that is the distributor of this card.) The only solution I have seen on other posts is to get a device that connects between the PC and the TV that stores the EDID data and keeps sending it to the graphics card. I was hoping for a software solution to this instead (such as updated drivers or an xorg.conf hack.) Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks so much.

stampeder
2011-07-03, 03:42 PM
Hi stlouisubntu, I determined that the problem was a mismatch between my Onkyo AVR and the NVIDIA driver set regarding HDMI handshakes and exchanged info. Nowadays I run an NVIDIA GT430 directly into my Sony HDTV via HDMI and have never had this problem come up again. In your case the same thing might be happening with your card and your Vizio HDTV. I hope this is helpful.

jonelli
2011-07-05, 01:20 PM
I just bought a brand new Denon AVR-1312 receiver.
Setup currently is HTPC & PS3, AVR1312, Olevia 247TFH TV
When I use the TV's two HDMI inputs, I never get a problem syncing from anything. Going through the receiver, I lose output if I switch from HTPC to PS3 and back. I have to power cycle the receiver to get it to come back.

ACER X1301 Quadcore Win7/64 PC with Nvidia GForce 9200 video. Not super special.

Called Denon, they say that its the PC. I'm not so sure yet. The receiver has onscreen menus on all the input selections but the non-synced HTPC one. So, to me, its the receiver not outputting anything, or failing to sync. Power cycle of the receiver alone fixes it.

I'm using a 6 or 8 foot cable from the HTPC to the receiver. Denon suggested trying a shorter one.
I think I'm going to take it back and try a different brand receiver. I'll let you know.

Michael DeAbreu
2011-07-05, 06:46 PM
My HTPC is connected via DVI/HDMI to my samsung TV. On the TV's setup, I designated HDMI 1 as being a PC. Maybe your receiver has a similar setting to differentiate between a consumer electronics device and a PC?

Yeah, I'd get another brand, given their terrible uninformed customer support (shorter cable? really!?)

jonelli
2011-07-06, 03:08 AM
I took the Denon right back to Best Buy and settled on the Yamaha RX-V371. Basically an equivalent model. WOW what a difference... Not only does everything work now as expected (I can switch back and forth between PS3 and HTPC all day long), I can rename inputs, assign a vid input to FM, freely assign the quick-scene front buttons to anything I want, and its even got a graphic EQ built in along with overall tone controls. (all features not on the Denon)
Very happy now.

Now, I get to start playing around a little bit.
Only thing I'm really bummed about is no analog multi-channel input like my old receiver had. Now I have a worthless SACD player. I'm not too bent out of shape about it though since the format is dead now for mainstream stuff, and the PS3 will at least play my discs (even if at a lower res).

So, that's it. This receiver has no issues switching back and forth.