: Cant any view video on HTPC

rhino1616
2010-04-11, 10:58 AM
good day, I have Vista Home Ultimate HTPC, when I enter TV+Movies & go to either recorded tv or live tv. I can t view anything because it gives me an error message:
Video Error:files needed to display video are not installed correctly. Please restart windows media center or restart the computer
I tried to fix it my self:

I restarted the computer
I installed all updates
I installed windows vista codec pack

None of this worked, can anyone advise me how to rectify this, below is my system list:
AMD athlon X3 425 2.7GHZ
4GB DDr3 ram
gigabyte GA-MA785gmt-ud2h
WD 1 TB HDD

Thank you for your time

ScaryBob
2010-04-11, 11:25 AM
You may not have the appropriate CODEC installed. Windows provides a selection of CODECs but there are a few missing. CODECs are a bit of a black art for newcomers. Finding the correct ones, installing and configuring them to work well can be a bit daunting. I suggest that you install one of the CODEC packs from this site (http://www.free-codecs.com/Codec_Packs.htm). I use CODEC 8.3 (http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Codec.htm) but you may have more success with a package made for your particular software.

Tikker
2010-04-11, 04:00 PM
what format are you trying to play?

you likely need to install DivX. I'd recommend staying away from codec packs, as they generally install a TON of stuff you just don't need

rhino1616
2010-04-13, 05:21 PM
Hi, Scary bob what do you mean; ,"you may have more success with a package made for your particular software". Im a bit of a noobie is there a codec or codec pack specificaaly for my software Windows media center?

Tikker
2010-04-13, 09:49 PM
the codecs are related to what you're trying to play, not what you're trying to play them with

rhino1616
2010-04-13, 10:51 PM
I tested a couple of dvd's (dix,avchd files etc) & they played perfectly in Windows Media Player, but when I tried to play them in Windows Media Center the same messeage popped up, "Video Error: files needed to display video are not installed...etc. I "think" (not sure though) I have all the codecs installed, I even installed codec 8.3 suggested by Scary bob.

PPL4GOLF
2010-04-13, 10:58 PM
I'd DL the newest ATI video drivers first.

I actually do like the shark007 Vista codecs. You don't need it unless you're using media center for other videos (e.g. with media browser)