: iPad: Transcoding videos

Cisco99
2010-04-10, 04:01 PM
This is probably in the wrong forum but I couldn't decide were to put it... please move it as you see fit.

I'm sure better solutions and more specific settings will be found eventually but I just wanted to let you guys know that the "Apple TV" preset in Handbrake works like a charm for transcoding videos for iPad use.

The converted video can just be dragged and dropped into iTunes and it'll be there in the iPad video player after you sync.

I tried it with Michael Moore's "Capitalism--A Love Story" and it looks great watching it on the iPad.

Douglas
2010-04-11, 10:13 PM
I download AirVideo for $2.99 today. Works quite well for my iPad 32G

Cisco99
2010-04-12, 04:42 AM
I download AirVideo for $2.99 today. Works quite well for my iPad 32G
Thanks for the tip. I just read the description but I couldn't figure out if this is streaming only or if it stores a converted video on the iPad for watching offline. Does it do both?

Wayne
2010-04-12, 11:17 AM
I used Air Video quite a bit this weekend and it seems to work fairly well - occasionally I would get a lack of response. However I don't know if that was a problem on the client or server side.

I have only used Air Video for streaming but I believe it can also convert and store on your iPad.

Air Video makes a great companion to PVR software. I use SageTV to record TV shows and then Air Video allows the iPad to be a great portable playback device, although a native Sage app would be better since it would also allow you to stream liveTV.

Boodaddy
2010-04-12, 06:59 PM
I'm still using VisualHub and it will covert my MTS movies using the AppleTV setting for the iPad.

Douglas
2010-04-13, 10:47 PM
It can do offline coversion, which will convert the file and store in your pc. You can then use iTune to sync the file to your iPad.

Tikker
2010-04-13, 10:50 PM
another vote for air video

it's fantastic for streaming, and you can convert stuff for offline viewing later

Bdub
2010-04-19, 04:44 PM
You're adding through iTunes? To what format does Air Video convert files?

Right now I use MPEGStreamclip, but it requires Quicktime Pro, AND the MPEG plugin. Not cheap.

Boodaddy
2010-04-19, 06:02 PM
Air Video takes only a few seconds to set up. I was streaming in no time. Amazing quality and easy to use.

Also,
I tried Aiseesoft iPad Video Converter and this works well with files half the size as VisualHub but the same quality. I used iTunes to transfer these files.