: VHS tape capture picture ripples

rch0425
2010-03-23, 11:21 AM
I hope I'm putting this question in the right place. Hello everyone, I'm the new kid on the block and have a question regarding why the picture from a vhs tape ripples about every 20 to 30 seconds. I am using Diamond's One Touch Video Capture device, a Sony VCR and my system is a Systemax AMD Phenom quad-four with 8gb memory and 3 TB disk space. I've been capturing these vhs tapes and have run into one that simply won't do a normal capture. I need to figure out why this rippling is taking place and if I can remove it. Does anyone have a solution? I appreciate any suggestions.

2010-03-23, 12:04 PM
Almost all commercial VHS tapes had a form of Macrovision (copy protection). Perhaps your system was able to remove the protection from other tapes you've done and this one tape has a newer form of Macrovision (perhaps CGMSa), or whatever, that your system cannot circumvent.

rch0425
2010-03-23, 01:00 PM
Thanks for that info, but this is a tape from a family gathering that was blank before use. It is the only one in this set of tapes that does this ripple thing. I'm really at a loss about how to resolve is, the tracking adjustments doesn't do anything to it.
I appreciate your input, but I think it's got to be something else.

DdDave
2010-03-23, 01:35 PM
Found this on the web, could be your problem:

(2) Clear-Water Effect: This is an error named because of the way it resembles ripples in clear shallow water. Parts of the video on screen are wiggling, with such a ripple effect. There is really no way to correct this in the software. This is an error caused from timing errors on the analog video tape. The DNR/TBC on S-VHS VCRs is known to remove this. Sometimes a VCR can cause this, so try the tape in several VCRs.

Read more: http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/video/introduction-restore-video.htm#ixzz0j1BqYn6e

rch0425
2010-03-23, 04:21 PM
Thanks Dd Dave! You might have resolved this issue, good or bad. I'll check things from that standpoint. :)

mbeard
2010-03-24, 12:41 AM
Depending on how much money you want to spend, how much the video is worth cleaning up... Go to a professional post production facility and have them dub the tape through a Time Base Corrector (TBC). That might help.