: How do I connect ide & Sata drive?

rhino1616
2010-03-22, 01:08 AM
Hi, I'm building an HTPC (first time). I bought 1 TB sata HDD & took my old 120gb IDE maxtor out of old computer (I will load OS on this one)I wasnt using. The IDE HDD has Win XP already on it. I cinnect the IDE to IDE connection on motherboard & set the pin on back to master, then coinnect SATA HDD to SATA0 on motherboard. I thought when I turned the computer on it would automattically boot to Win xp, but it keeps looping saying something about change to "ACHI". What am I doing wrong, was I supposed to wipe the IDE drive clean first & then install it, or is something configure wrong like cant use IDE & SATA hdd on same motherboard anyadvice would be appreciated as ytou can tell Im not a huge computer tech person.

Thank you

BGY11
2010-03-22, 05:00 AM
No problem.

Firstly, you will more than likely have to re-install Windows. Windows tends to be very picky about changes to hard drive settings such as moving the drive to a new motherboard. More often than not, doing so will simply result in a blue screen crash (which, depending on how Windows is configured may simply cause an endless reboot cycle like you are seeing).

If you boot off the Windows XP CD you can go through the installation to the point of selecting which drive to install it on. If you just see the 120GB Maxtor and not the 1TB SATA drive, that's fine for now (in most cases, you'd need to provide the drivers on a floppy disk to have the installer detect a SATA drive). Since you are using an IDE drive as your boot disk, it's not really needed. You'll probably want to format the drive (make sure anything you may need is backed up) and do a clean installation.

I'm presuming that you are custom-building a computer. If so, once Windows finishes installing, you can either use the CD bundled with the motherboard to install things like the aforementioned SATA driver, or (better yet) visit the manufacturer's webpage and download the latest drivers for the board.

Hope this helps.

Dubble
2010-03-22, 07:18 AM
Some motherboards require a bois setting to use both ide and sata.

rhino1616
2010-03-22, 11:48 AM
I think I have it, so if I put in the boot CD, when I turn on the computer it should go straight to the boot CD process where I can then reformat the drive, & once widnows installed via bios enable the SATA ( which I think it has detected but as you said its doing the looping process) is this correct?

BGY11
2010-03-22, 07:54 PM
Best thing to do would be to go into the BIOS and check the boot order (different BIOSes put this in a different location). You'll want to ensure it's set to boot off the CD drive first.

While in the BIOS, you can verify that it detects both hard drives as well. If it sees both drives, you should be good to go. I was mostly referring to the fact that the Windows install itself may not see the SATA drive even if the BIOS does, since a standard XP install disc doesn't have SATA drivers.