2010-03-18, 01:06 PM
Second time this has happened to me - go to play back a recording (on an
SD channel) and all I get is a black screen. Fast forward button won't work
but the skip buttons do work.
The strange thing is that this is on the main box. Playback on the second
box works fine!

Happened to anybody else? Any ideas?
I haven't bothered to phone MTS yet as I could watch the recording, but
wouldn't want to lose something important in the future.

Vader
2010-03-18, 01:16 PM
Try resetting your box by holding down the power button for 5-10 seconds. One of the recordings that I thought didn't work mysteriously re-appeared once I did that.

watchtoomuch
2010-03-18, 01:45 PM
Tried that, it worked.
Thanks, good to know

Dr.Dave
2010-03-18, 03:24 PM
Did you make any theme changes in the last few days?

I had this problem twice when I first got Ultimate TV. Both times were on my PVR after I had just changed my themes on-line. The first time I reset the PVR. The second time I was recording and eventually the problem fixed itself. The program I was having a problem with had nothing to do with my theme change.

Edit: I haven't had any problems since.

Mozza
2010-03-18, 03:29 PM
Yeah - I'd highly suggest that after ANY theme change, you reset your box afteran hour or so of the changes being made, if possible.

watchtoomuch
2010-03-18, 08:36 PM
No, no theme changes any time near the second occurance.
The first one was a while back & I don't remember

Vader
2010-03-18, 09:18 PM
Congratulations Dr. Dave on being named moderator!!

Macman
2010-03-18, 10:56 PM
Congrats Dr. Dave! I was thinking of entering but I'm too busy with work and little kids, and I spend enough time on the computer as it is.

Good luck :)

Dr.Dave
2010-03-19, 08:53 AM
Thanks to all. With your help I'll try to keep this forum interesting and useful.

Jpegger
2010-05-09, 06:51 PM
Hi folks

I tried resetting of the main pvr box, holding down the button and nothing is bringing back certain items I pvr'ed back in early January. I go to play them and it is a black screen. These were taped on the free channel preview movies back in December/January. Would that make a difference? Everything else I have pvr'ed has worked fine, except these movies when after that freeview channel was discontinued, I couldn't watch them. Any suggestions?

Dr.Dave
2010-05-09, 08:41 PM
Jpegger, I had the same problem with Super Channel in January. I spoke with MTS at the time and they confirmed my suspicion that each program that you play back from the PVR is validated against the rights server at the head-end. Since you don't subscribe to the channel any longer, it won't play back.

I had a 3 month free preview of Movie Central and before it expired I recorded a program and played it back a few days after the expiration with no problem. So the problem seems to be limited to the Super Channel free preview.

Jpegger
2010-05-09, 09:08 PM
Thanks Dr. Dave. I suspected as much, and thanks for the confirmation.

watchtoomuch
2010-05-11, 12:52 AM
I had the same thing happen. If they're really important to you don't erase them, as I
found out that when the same channel was used for a free preview of something else my
old recordings would now play. You might get lucky someday in the future.

Jpegger
2010-05-11, 10:26 PM
Good suggestion. I've got the space so I will keep them around for now. Thanks!

fmr
2010-05-13, 10:24 PM
I think you should complain again about this behaviour. MTS should not control when you can watch a show. This is abuse of DRM technology. PVRs are not made to screw you, they're here to help you schedule your TV viewing. Since I haven't experienced this problem yet, I can't complain to them, but if it ever happened, I'd be on the phone right away to cancel my subscription. I have never had a PVR that would dictate when I can use it or not.

SomeRandomGuy
2010-05-13, 10:47 PM
hmmm, some how I doubt MTS has any control over DRM.

I seem to recall a thread similar to this issue popping up on the AT&T Uverse User site a while back (a few months ago). If I recall correctly the control was not with AT&T but with Microsoft and Uverse customers had the same limitation.

fmr
2010-05-15, 10:15 AM
Copyright laws in Canada and US are not the same.
There is no DMCA in Canada, and I sure hope it stays this way.

Mav
2010-07-07, 04:16 PM
We have recorded a few movies on SD channels and get a black screen for about 15 minutes. I tried doing a reset on the DVR with no luck. This happens on both the main tv and secondary tv. Everything is hooked up by cat 5E.

Recordings seem to work on HD channels. Any ideas?

Dr.Dave
2010-07-07, 05:57 PM
When you say you get a black screen for 15 minutes, do you get the picture after that or is that as far as you watched?

Here's what I would check:

Can you watch the same SD channels live?
Does the problem happen on more than 1 SD channel?

Mav
2010-07-08, 09:19 AM
When you say you get a black screen for 15 minutes, do you get the picture after that or is that as far as you watched?

Here's what I would check:

Can you watch the same SD channels live?
Does the problem happen on more than 1 SD channel?

Yes, I get picture back after about 15 minutes. As far as I know, I can watch the SD channels live. Can't remember if the two shows were on different channels, but I suspect they were.