: Pre-paid data plan?

billhome
2010-03-16, 02:13 AM
Is there such a thing as a pre-paid data plan for the iPhone? I am currently using the pre-paid 7-eleven SIMM in my iPhone for voice calls (I only use about $3 a month since I rarely give out the number), but on a few occasions I wish I also have data access when wi-fi isn't available.

apn
2010-03-17, 10:08 AM
Technically, you can do this according to the SpeakOut website;

Unlimited Browsing - NEW!
Unlimited browsing can be added to any SpeakOut account for only $10/month. That means you can surf the web 24/7, right from your phone.

To add this great feature, just dial 611 from your handset and talk to customer service. The $10 fee will be automatically deducted from your airtime balance each month.* See Phones for data-capable devices

*To cancel this feature you must call customer service as it automatically renews each month. If your SpeakOut airtime balance drops below $10.00 and SpeakOut cannot collect the funds at the time of renewal, the Unlimited Browsing feature will be removed from your account.

...which puts them on par w/ offerings from Rogers, Telus and others. However, I'm not now what limitations they might enforce on this to prevent iPhone/Nexus users flocking to a $10/mo unlimited data plan.

Perhaps they force you to use their portal, which restricts access to certain sites?

I was wondering the same thing, since my teen is looking to acquire a first mobile. Having checked the plans currently available, I was comparing monthly rates for text and web usage. My kid's not getting an iPhone, but it got me thinking...

billhome
2010-03-18, 10:34 PM
Thanks apn for pointing this out. I will check whether it works with the iPhone.

[Edit] People have gotten the unlimited browsing to work on the iPhone 3GS as well as the Blackberries, but so far not on the 3G. It seems that Rogers is blocking it. 7-eleven is also working on a data plan, in addition to this unlimited browsing plan.

homer_j
2010-03-25, 01:11 PM
What are the steps to get this working on my iPhone?
Purchase one of their phones and switch the SIM card into my iPhone?

I don't care if it's not 3G, a data plan for $10/month....priceless (almost)

Homer

recneps77
2010-03-25, 03:14 PM
It would be essentially dialup, I'm guessing.
Not that great a bargain if you want to do any serious internet work.

billhome
2010-03-25, 07:59 PM
"What are the steps to get this working on my iPhone?"

I purchased an used iPhone 3G that had already been activated on the Rogers network (important), was not jailbroken (important) and not unlocked (important). I then purchased a 7-eleven pre-pay phone, and simply put the SIMM chip into the iPhone. Since I rarely make any voice calls, and I don't give out the phone number, my usage is about $3 a month. The deposits are good for one year, and if you refill before the year is up, it all carries forward.

I would also like to get the unlimited Internet browsing for $10 a month from 7-eleven, but so far people haven't figured out how to do this on the iPhone 3G yet. Apparently it works on the 3GS model.

I remains to be seen what 7-eleven will offer as far as a digital data plan goes, and whether it works with the iPhone.

Hint: If you are bidding for an iPhone on eBay, as soon as you see a bid by someone with a 0 history, drop out of the bidding. They are usually there to artifically inflate the price.

homer_j
2010-03-26, 10:05 AM
thanks billhome,
Great advice.
Now you contradicted yourself:
I would also like to get the unlimited Internet browsing for $10 a month from 7-eleven, but so far people haven't figured out how to do this on the iPhone 3G yet. Apparently it works on the 3GS model.

I remains to be seen what 7-eleven will offer as far as a digital data plan goes, and whether it works with the iPhone.
Now, we only have to figure out what 2G data plan they offer for $10/month:

2.5G - GPRS from 56 kbit/s up to 114 kbit/s
2.75G - EDGE up to 236.8 kbit/s

Homer

BTW
3G - up to 2 Mbit/s
4G - up to 10 Mbit/s

billhome
2010-03-26, 12:42 PM
Homer: I think I understand your confusion.

I was referring to 3G as an iPhone model, not a communications protocol. Also, unlimited browsing plans and data plans are different.

homer_j
2010-03-26, 02:18 PM
billhome,
Unlimited Browsing = data plan
Data settings for speakout.

The following is what I used to setup my iPhone 3GS to enable speakout data access.

Checkout Glen Lalonde's Web site on how to activate Speakout Unlimited Browsing:
http://www.binarysearchtree.com/

Good luck everyone!

Homer

billhome
2010-03-28, 05:42 PM
Thanks Homer. As far as I know, no one has Unlimited Browsing working with the iPhone 3G. As soon as that happens, I am on board.

Norm01
2010-05-25, 09:07 PM
Don't want to hijack this thread but the 7 eleven sim card worked in a locked Rogers Iphone. I'm interested since I have a locked Rogers Iphone and my contract is up.

recneps77
2010-05-25, 10:21 PM
Makes sense, as 711 is really just rogers at heart. You connect to the same towers, after all.

Tomato9876
2010-06-03, 11:47 PM
The whole point of this is to use a $10 mobile browsing plan as a data plan. 7-11 doesn't intend on you doing that, but it will work. The Big 3 won't let you use this loophole on their networks, but 7-11 *does*.

Anyone tried an unlocked phone from another carrier with this set-up?

andreww
2010-06-09, 10:32 AM
I've been using the 711 data plan on my jailbroken 2G iphone for several months. Its not perfect, but well worth the $10 a month. The biggest drawback is that the Mail app will not connect, although I have worked around that by using safari to access im Rogers account via Yahoo web mail.

Also, I find the service is all but useless in downtown Toronto during business hours. Don't know why but it works fine until about 11:00 am, then slows down and stops. It immediately works when my train leaves Union Station.

As said previously, this service only works with iPhone 2G and 3GS. For some reason the 3G models will not connect.