: Apple patents reveal Big Plans for AppleTV

99semaj
2010-03-08, 10:27 PM
Apple has been trying to create the ultimate universal remote in their labs for several years now. In fact, the first of three patent figures in our cover graphic above is from one of their 2007 patents on the same subject. In this report, we'll show you some of the great things that Apple is dreaming up in respect to Apple TV and a universal remote that is starting to really take shape: A universal remote that may finally have some real meaning beyond just controlling our iTunes content. Where's the beef? Well here it is – and a whole lot more! (http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2010/03/great-advances-are-coming-to-apple-remote-apple-tv.html)

The concepts in the patent covers typical home automation functions (scene control, etc), using the AppleTV as an IR blaster controlled via iPhone/Touch, apps on AppleTV, gaming and a tuner function.

If this comes to fruition, it would certainly be a game changer.

JohnnyCanuck
2010-03-09, 01:34 AM
Game changer? Not sure about that. There's nothing new here that isn't already in the marketplace. The one good thing that might come of this is they take a well deserved share of Logitech's market, but I don't see them making inroads into the higher end home automation market (URC, RTI, Control4, Creston, etc).

99semaj
2010-03-09, 12:28 PM
I think it would be a game changer because Apple would do what they do best...make the integration clean and easy for the masses.

JohnnyCanuck
2010-03-09, 06:12 PM
Does Apple? Massively successful over the last three years, but PC market share down last year ... iPhone saturation rate may be reaching max (next gen iPhone offers nothing new), iPad may be a very big miss, and AppleTV hasn't really captured the market. There was a good article in today's GlobeInvestor about now being a good time to sell Apple shares for those very reasons (as well as the fact that Apple's been on top of the tech world for too long given historical cycles in that sector).

While I appreciate one shouldn't underestimate Apple or Steve Jobs, they've never been a value proposition. How is Apple going to sell hundreds of dollars of hardware for something that is already in the marketplace for much less to varying degrees. While anyone who reads my posts knows I am not fan of Logitech's Harmony remotes, there is no question they own that market and have recently moved to ensure that you can get into their products remarkably inexpensively.

My guess is that Apple is really targeting the market that already has Mac PC's, iPhones/iTouches, and maybe an AppleTV because of the integration possibilities and sales that represents. I don't see it as having the leverage to appeal to those who may only have an iPod and really aren't completely in the Apple clubhouse.

cmurray
2010-03-15, 06:51 PM
Quote: How is Apple going to sell hundreds of dollars of hardware for something that is already in the marketplace for much less to varying degrees.

This sounds like comments made about the iPhone a couple of years ago.

dajota
2010-03-22, 08:38 PM
Apple and patents...I think their new business plan is to file a bunch of patents and sue anyone who remotely tries to copy one of their ideas. Litigation instead of innovation?