: PS3 Aspect ratio for SD videos

beanagee1
2010-03-07, 10:25 PM
I have a PS3 Slim connected to Viewsonic LCD monitor via HDMI cable. The aspect ratio from the video games as well as from blueray disks is just fine, 16:9. When we play the old DVDs (not Blueray) the aspect ratio goes to 4:3. Same is true for other SD content. So, I know that HDMI works fine but I cannot get SD content to play properly. Any ideas of what I need to do? I am also using Nullriver Medial link to connect my Mac to the PS3.

Cheers,

ericball
2010-03-08, 10:11 PM
I'm going to assume you have your PS3 configured to automatically upscale DVDs to your TV's preferred resolution (720p or 1080p).

There are three types of DVDs you are likely to run into:
1. 4x3 full frame - these may be TV shows or old movies like Wizard of Oz.
2. 16x9 anamorphic - most modern movies on DVD will be in this format.
3. letterbox - this is typically old DVDs which were made from VHS & LaserDisc transfers

#2 should "just work", automatically upscaling to fill your TV and providing a very good picture. OAR (original aspect ratio) purists will live with the black bars on the sides of #1. But if you prefer having the picture stretched to fill the screen then you need to change the PS to not automatically convert the picture and just output the native DVD 480i and then have your TV convert it just like SD TV. #3 can be handled in the same way, using your TV to stretch the picture in both directions.

2010-03-09, 12:52 AM
I thought that there was a setting in the PS3 somewhere to stretch non-anamorphic material. As stated by ericball, since you have an LCD, there should be no reason to stretch 4:3 material.

Here's an FAQ which may be of interest - Read it carefully, especially the middle part of post 2.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76089