: Sony Plans a Playstation Phone

99semaj
2010-03-04, 09:38 PM
Among the mobile devices Sony is developing is a PlayStation phone that can download and run PlayStation games. Sony is also said to be developing a device similar to Apple's iPad with PSP features. But branding the new Sony phone as a PlayStation device might not be wise. An analyst sees more success selling the phone as a Sony Ericsson brand. (http://www.mobile-tech-today.com/news/Sony-Plans-a-PlayStation-Phone/story.xhtml?story_id=010000F27W54&full_skip=1)

Something about this just doesn't feel right...almost like it's an afterthought.

outinthornhill
2010-03-05, 08:48 AM
+1 on that.

As someone who was raised with Sony being the go-to company for quality and state of the art electronics and who has watched it slip so far, this has the ring of to-little, too-late. The statement from Sony is vague; no specifications, no branding, no release date except 2010. It's seems like a desperate attempt too discourage a few potential customers from buying an iPad in March with the hope that Sony will have something in a few months.

It's sad for those of us who were once enthralled with anything Sony.

hugh
2010-03-05, 09:19 AM
+2. I agree it sounds more like an afterthought. My feeling is Sony simply doesn't have the eco-system to make it a success.

Interestingly, Archos announced its Android tablets yesterday. I think the future is three competing systems in the following order.

iPhone OS based tablets from Apple
Android based tablets from many manufacturers
Windows based tablets from multiple manufacturers

I simply can't see Sony breaking into this.

jcab
2010-03-05, 12:50 PM
Hmm... If their PSN Store is finally getting worthy PSOne classics game, not like the - excuse the bluntness- crap they are serving us theses days, it could work. You will tell me it's a pretty narrowed niche, but I would reply that we shouldn't dismiss the nostalgic market.

And if they could revamp their network and devices to make it truly contend with the itunes store... well I see it really working.

The PSN Store already have movies, games, add to that apps and music (Sony BMG) and it start to be realistic.

The phone will sell if the content is interesting enough.

They could take the niche between palm users (they had the expertise with the Clié - wich i prefered to tny palm or handspring devices) and the iphone, becoming somewhat of an hybrid.