: Bell Mobile TV iPhone App now available

hugh
2010-02-24, 09:40 AM
Bell today launched a Mobile TV app for the iPhone. This app is not the recently released Remote PVR remote app which is being discussed in the Bell PVR forum in this thread (http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=119928).

The app lets you watch live TV over the 3G network. Programs available from Olympics, Treehouse, MTV, Muchmusic, Newsworld.

Please note that it only works on the Bell Mobility 3G network so its only available to Bell Customers and it won't work over Wifi. This means you could eat up a lot of your data plan if you're not careful so beware.

jean luc picard
2010-02-24, 11:10 AM
it won't work over Wifi

wait...what? that makes it virtually completely useless. i swear this kind of stuff is a cash grab by catching unsuspecting customers out. do they even bother to let you know when you've reached your monthly data limit?

hugh
2010-02-24, 11:57 AM
Well let's look at it this way. Bell has to make money or they won't be offering the product.

redzone
2010-02-24, 01:49 PM
are they releasing it for winmo ?

sounds like a nice app id like to use it on my Omnia 2

El Gran Chico
2010-02-24, 11:48 PM
I'd think that many would find getting a slingbox and the iPhone/iPod touch sling player app a more cost effective solution. It works on wifi too. :cool:

PokerChip
2010-02-25, 01:21 AM
I think the reason it won't work on WiFi is also to make sure they authenticate only their customers when trying to access the service.

It becomes an extra incentive to activate an iPhone through Bell. As a Rogers iPhone customer, it begs the question: how come Rogers has not provided something similar to their customer, especially given the fact that they have had exclusive right to the iPhone in Canada for 18 months?

Maybe this will prompt them to do so.

Regardless, it's nice to see Live TV solutions slowly coming to the iPhone. One day we will watch 300 channels from our iPhones anywhere on a 4G or 5G network as part of a basic data plan and wonder how we ever went without it in the good old days.

molsonman73
2010-02-25, 09:54 AM
I think BELL is personally being greedy with this app, to only allow the service to Bell phone customers. What about the people that are giving bell over $120 a month for satellite service. I personally would love to be able to view it if they were to allow it over wifi with a user name and password for people other than bell mobility customers. Shame on you BELL, i know where i stand in your eyes.

hugh
2010-02-25, 10:50 AM
IMO, Bell should have created two apps.

One for Bell TV customers that works on 3G and WiFi and one for Bell Mobility customers that only works on Bell Mobility 3G.

In both cases, Bell earns money (either through 3G data or through Bell TV revenues) and Bell Customers are getting a nice extra.

rob1
2010-02-25, 02:36 PM
Just like Rogers with their 680 news app.....only for Rogers customers :rolleyes:

cptcarter
2010-02-25, 06:37 PM
I called Bell last night and sub'd to the $8 multimedia package however when I launch the Iphone Bell app, I only get the Olympic coverage, when I click on CBC News or Weather network it brings me to a page that says please call bell @ 1-800. Any idea why? When I called Bell he said that it takes the network awhile to kick in but its been a day now. Is it because the service is so new that there is nothing there?

okcomputer
2010-02-25, 09:57 PM
I gotta say, the complaints about this are a bit silly.

Did Bell say anywhere that they promised to make a live TV application and allow you watch TV free on your mobile device? Was it in the contract you signed with them? Why do they owe you anything?

Bell develops an application and gives it away for free, and people complain that they're getting screwed? Just because you have Bell satellite or home phone you should have access to free TV on your phone? I don't get it.

Bell knows that 99% of their iPhone customers have data plans. They also know that most people download apps for the iPhone. They see a possible revenue stream and they go for it.

I'm with Rogers, and while I wish they'd develop something like this, I'm happy that Bell is doing it. They're proving the technology and testing the market, and that can only be a good thing. But I'm not pissed that Bell isn't offering it to me, or that Rogers hasn't developed their own yet.

cptcarter
2010-02-26, 08:17 PM
Can anyone who has the new Bell Mobile tv app confirm for me that CBC NEws and The Weathernetwork channel both work? I have the app and pay the $8 but when I click on the CBC News app or Weathernetowkr app it says for me to phone Bell. I have called and spoke to two different tech support agents and they can't figure it out. It's weird because the olympic channels work fine but the CBC and weather ones don't.

cogs
2010-02-28, 07:54 AM
You know what OkComputer? You are 1000% right on the money. I am a Rogers iPhone subscriber and BEV subscriber, so I am apparently getting "screwed", lol. I don't feel that way. This app, and the Remote PVR app, came out of left field for me, and I am absolutely delighted that I am giving my money to Bell when they show that they have enough balls in the R&D department to go above and beyond what I was expecting for my money (even if these apps might be a rip-off of a Dishnet app or something, I'm not sure, but at least Bell was smart enough to say "Hey, maybe our subscribers want this"). I hear the accusations of the "money-grab" and I get it.

I do have access to the Remote PVR App, and let me say that in my opinion it is one of the best apps I've ever downloaded! It is so functional, that honestly, I could hardly believe that it was something that BEV had the foresight to offer. They just scored HUGE points in my book for this.

Not to mention, anyone that thinks the iPhone is just hype... well, it's apps like this that show you the value of such a device (as long as useful apps are developed, of course), and I am no Apple Fanboy, trust me.

If it were me, I would not be focusing so much on this supposed "money grab" from Bell, but asking why I have to be with Bell in order to get this kind of value in the first place; why isn't it an industry standard offering. Translation: don't **** on Bell just because Rogers is too shortsighted to offer the same service (and remember, I spend money with both subscribers, so this is not a Rah Rah Bell thing).

It's the same scenario in the banking world: CIBC is the only bank to offer a mobile banking app (not just an ATM finder). It is literally a matter of weeks until the other banks get on board, and then the floodgates open and everyone will have options. The same thing will happen in the Television space.

Innovation drives change and value, so let's give Bell props for what they've started here (even though they can't fix the problems with my frigging Speedstream Modem)!:p

redzone
2010-02-28, 09:10 AM
So i foudn out my phone ( Omnia 2 ) came with the app from day one lol. only problem is im not willing to pay 10 (or 8 ) bucks a month to eat up all my bandwidth.

BGY11
2010-03-02, 11:40 PM
Actually, wouldn't paying the $10 for the application imply that Mobile TV does not count towards your data plan? That would essentially be charging twice for the same service.