: activating a pre-paid on a post paid plan

popular_Dale
2010-02-20, 09:16 PM
I don't know if this is possible. My current phone is junk and I just need a new phone to get me by through the rest of my contract. I noticed that telus is selling this phone for cheaper than without contract

http://www.telusmobility.com/en/AB/lg_7100_pp/index.shtml as opposed to
http://www.telusmobility.com/en/AB/lg_7100/index.shtml

Is it possible to activate a pre-paid phone on a post-paid plan? or do I have to buy a brand new post paid phone/used post paid phone off of kijiji?

Paolo
2010-02-20, 11:14 PM
if you just need the phone only, why not just buy the phone in link #1 and pop in your telus SIM card into it and continue using it on your existing line?? i dont get why you want to "activate" it when that is not your intention right?

GSMfan
2010-02-21, 03:09 AM
I think it's because that is a CDMA phone...no SIM card. So he does have to get it activated by Telus.

popular_Dale
2010-02-21, 09:25 AM
exactly, I can't find anything on the internet that says you can't activate a PP phone on a postpaid plan for telus. But it almost sounds too good to be true.

popular_Dale
2010-02-21, 11:03 AM
going to the telus store to ask questions, i'm not expecting a yes for an answer.

GSMfan
2010-02-21, 12:18 PM
going to the telus store to ask questions, i'm not expecting a yes for an answer.
If the boys and girls at the Telus store say no, I would call up customer service and pursue it, because I can't see why they should not allow it. You are simply trying to replace a broken phone. It shouldn't matter where and how you got the phone. It's still a Telus phone. And you're not asking them to sell you a post-paid phone at subsidized price.

popular_Dale
2010-02-21, 01:06 PM
it worked. I asked the questions and i got the answers. You can buy a prepaid phone and activate it as a post paid.. saved me $140.. i'm not complaining :) - they even threw in free activation!

Paolo
2010-02-21, 01:32 PM
ok so it is not a umts phone and has no sim card, even if its cdma, you dont need to "activate" it, Activating means opening a NEW line, you want an ESN SWAP, i dont see why they would refuse this? i used to do it all the time when rogers had TDMA (a similar technology to cdma) that used esn's.

popular_Dale
2010-02-21, 01:48 PM
forgive me if i used the wrong term. I was afraid that the pay as you go phones are only meant for stricly pay as you go.

its funny, i bet you people have paid $200 and not even known they can get the same hardware for $60.

GSMfan
2010-02-21, 01:58 PM
forgive me if i used the wrong term. I was afraid that the pay as you go phones are only meant for stricly pay as you go.

its funny, i bet you people have paid $200 and not even known they can get the same hardware for $60.
I think it may have been just a fortunate coincidence that the phone you wanted was available both as a prepaid and post-paid phone. Usually prepaid phones are the entry-level and/or older model phones that no one would want as a post-paid (contract) phone.

popular_Dale
2010-02-21, 02:17 PM
yea, all i want is talk and text. im not into the whole smartphone thing. smartphones just mean higher bills and I have no use for one.

Paolo
2010-02-21, 11:43 PM
as long as cellphone systems have been arround, ive been able to buy a cellphone and swap the ESN on an existing line. I already know that i wont be getting any "credits" that are only obtainable through "new activaation" since im a existiong clientel. this has been the case for as long as i can remember. nothing stops you from doing this except any associated fees with ESN Swaping