: LTE/4G in Canada

Ott8915
2010-02-14, 03:45 PM
I am debating getting a mobile phone for the first time in several years but want to wait for LTE/4G phones to appear along with the new mobile phone companies before I sign on. An LTE/4G phone requires a potentially less expensive data plan (no voice plan needed) and should provide more capabilities with its all IP network.

I was wondering if anyone knows when we might start to see LTE/4G phones in Canada? This regards both the new companies such as Wind Mobile, Moblicity and Public Mobile and the existing trio of Rogers/Bell/Telus.

Here are some of the challenges for networks upgrading to LTE:
http://next-generation-communications.tmcnet.com/topics/nextgen-voice/articles/74409-wireless-backhaul-revolution-evolution.htm

Also, I have been reading that Bell/Telus were planning on upgrading the Olympic sites to LTE in time for the games. Does anyone know if that occurred?

robsaw
2010-02-15, 03:59 PM
No Canadian mobile provider has confirmed any dates for LTE roll-out. It could be 2 years easy based upon some very weak hints.

99semaj
2010-02-15, 07:46 PM
It won't be Public mobile, as they made the stunningly stupid decision of creating a CDMA network. It'll be on the verge of obsolescence and without an upgrade path before it even launches. :rolleyes: