: Site that details the various iPhone plans?

Gord Lacey
2010-02-09, 12:41 PM
Does anyone know of a site that lists the iPhone plans from the 3 providers? My wife is looking to get one, but she wants to look into the plans offered and pick the best for her usage.

Thanks,
Gord

barter
2010-02-09, 01:44 PM
The discount brands Virgin Mobile and Fido also have the iPhone, might want to look at those as well. Although I believe Fido's plans are the same as Rogers.

Does anyone know how long a iPhone will typically last, if you got one on a 3 year contract would it actually last 3 years?

hugh
2010-02-09, 02:01 PM
Don't know of any sites although there have been some lengthy thread here discussing so you may wish to view as a start.

Gord Lacey
2010-02-09, 02:06 PM
Hmm....Virgin Mobile. I've heard some good things about them. The thing is, she hardly uses her phone (very low mins), but still wants one, so we need to get her on the lowest plan possible.

Gord

barter
2010-02-09, 02:10 PM
For Virgin Mobile $50 a month is the lowest you will get.
$50/mo. 500 MB of Data(Plus Wifi) 150 + 50 Bonus Local Minutes plus Unlimited Evening and Weekends
and

Voicemail 10 & Call Display
OR
Unlimited Text & Picture Messaging

Not too bad

hugh
2010-02-09, 02:11 PM
I use very few minutes and I went with Fido. (detailed in a very long thread comparing iPhone plans on Fido and Rogers)

I haven't looked at Virgin but nothing I saw on Bell or Telus was attractive for a light user such as myself

Essentially I pay $20 for Voice, $30 for 6GB of data (tethering included) and $10 for VM and CID at Fido. I haven't seen anything that is more attractive.

outinthornhill
2010-02-09, 08:50 PM
I use very few minutes and I went with Fido. (detailed in a very long thread comparing iPhone plans on Fido and Rogers)

I haven't looked at Virgin but nothing I saw on Bell or Telus was attractive for a light user such as myself

Essentially I pay $20 for Voice, $30 for 6GB of data (tethering included) and $10 for VM and CID at Fido. I haven't seen anything that is more attractive.
That's a good plan, Hugh, but is it still available? I don't see the $30/6gb offer on the Fido site and isn't the tethering option time-limited and subject to be pulled at Roger's will? The new plans from Virgin are very competitive for those who weren't able to take advantage of the Rogers/Fiod offer last summer.

jshel101
2010-02-10, 10:21 AM
The new plans from Virgin are very competitive for those who weren't able to take advantage of the Rogers/Fiod offer last summer.
I find these plans from Virgin to be the same as the big 3. I think you might get 50 more day time minutes in the $50 plan, but everything else is the same. I think it is actually a little worse because in the big 3 you get the my5 but with Virgin, you just get the unlimited text/pictures. The 500mb of data is the same also.

CanucksRock
2010-02-10, 11:33 AM
You can get My5 - just costs an extra $10 with Virgin. But if your a low voice user - that part doesn't really even matter.

I plan to get an iPhone - but I'm waiting for the next gen one to come out. (I'm currently on virgin prepaid) I'm hoping they'll offer better data plans when the new phone comes out (as Rogers/Fido have previously when new iPhones have been released)

Gord Lacey
2010-02-10, 11:35 AM
Well, after comparing features and price, looks like she'll stay with Telus. Prices are pretty much all the same, but the Telus Mobility person (in store) we spoke to said she could probably get some freebies because she's a current Telus customer that's on month-to-month.

$50 gets her:
100 mins
50 bonus mins
Unlimited Nationwide talk/text to 5 numbers (or unlimited text, or double anytime mins - 200 then)
Free nighttime mins after 9
500 MB of data
Voicemail 3, Call Waiting and Conference Calling

She'll add caller ID for $7 and either 30 texts ($3) or 250 texts ($5). Hopefully she can get the caller ID for free, otherwise she's looking at $60 or $62, depending on what she wants for texting. She's a light phone user, so this plan should cover her needs.

Gord

faston
2010-02-10, 04:33 PM
I didn't really think it was ok to post other sites on these threads, but Hugh hasn't said anything so far, so here goes: The site iphoneincanada.ca has very detailed listings of the various providers.

outinthornhill
2010-02-10, 08:00 PM
There was a proposal a year or so ago for a federal government site that would offer comparisons of wireless plans - something like the site that compares credit cards/features/fees. The feds abandoned the project, presumably due to the problems keeping it up-to-date with so many providers and plans and options. That and, of course, there'd be all heck to pay if somehow the government got it wrong.

Gord Lacey
2010-02-11, 10:35 AM
Or they realized it's too difficult to keep track of the BS hidden fees all the companies seem to have. Have we ever figured out what the "system access fee" is for?

Gord

riddick
2010-02-13, 11:54 AM
Thanks for all your info in these posts. This has helped a bunch.

**Cheers**

TheKidd
2010-02-17, 09:37 PM
When you are looking at the iPhone plans, also look at the PDA phone plans as well as the iPhone runs off them as well and they are generally cheaper and offer a far better value.

cooper83
2010-02-25, 04:07 AM
http://www.comparecellular.com/compare-iphone-plans/

Anteater
2010-03-15, 06:41 PM
Or they realized it's too difficult to keep track of the BS hidden fees all the companies seem to have. Have we ever figured out what the "system access fee" is for?

Gord
Actually, no carriers have the system access fee anymore. They bumped up the price to make up the difference though, and Rogers introduced a new fee disgused as government-mandated, the GRRF.

Edit: Sorry, I was doing a search and didn't realize this thread was from a month ago.