: Google Nexus One - Wind, maybe others...

SomethingMore
2010-02-05, 05:47 PM
Didn't see a post dedicated to this phone, so I thought I'd start one.

Right now, this phone is only available to Americans at http://www.google.com/phone
http://www.uncrate.com/men/images/2010/01/google-nexus-one.jpg
They can get it unlocked, or on a plan with T-mobile.

Here in Canada, Wind Mobile claims that the phone will work on their network. I can't seem to find any hard information on this. There have been reports from less than a handful of users who have actually used the phone on Wind Mobile, and the results have been inconsistent. I even read one forum where someone claimed to use it on Rogers, but 3G did not work.

Some say it doesn't work with 3G on Wind, either.

Does anyone here have any first-hand or second-hand experience with this phone on Wind Mobile or any network?

I sent an inquiry to Wind Mobile asking what others' experiences have been. They told me that their 'community' has expressed very positive results... but I can't find any threads on their website that verifies this.

Tomato9876
2010-02-05, 06:41 PM
Wind uses the same 3G bands as T-Mobile USA, so the phone would work. It all depends on the quality of Wind's network in regards to how well it would perform.

It also has GSM bands like other phones, so voice and 2G would work on Rogers. But really, what would be the point of this? Just buy one of Rogers' Android Phones...

SomethingMore
2010-02-05, 07:10 PM
But really, what would be the point of this? Just buy one of Rogers' Android Phones...
All Android phones aren't the same. Just like all Blackberry phones or iPhones, or Palm phones aren't the same. Build quality, carrier, and software upgradeability all factor into potential choices. This thread is about the Nexus One; a specific phone.

I won't turn this into a discussion about why I refuse to get a phone with Rogers, so I'll leave it at that.

I really do hope that Wind officially starts carrying this phone, but I was hoping to hear from some people who decided to import it, or have had a chance to play with an imported Nexus One.

silverpig
2010-02-05, 10:19 PM
Last I heard is that Wind was talking with Google about it and may have been testing it.

Also, Google is coming out with a standard 3G version of the Nexus One which will work on Rogers/Bell/Telus.

TorontoColin
2010-02-06, 12:59 AM
I'd rather have Google selling an unlocked version directly to Canada. Wind won't subsidize on contracts anyways and if Wind sells it the phone will be locked for 3 months. I believe the N1 will also be compatible with Mobilicity whenever it launches, but if someone who knows could confirm that I'd appreciate it.

By standard 3G do you mean one compatible with AT&T? If so, has this been confirmed? Last I heard that was still a rumour.

If Google would start selling the phone in Canada I'd probably switch to Wind (or Mobilicity).

Tomato9876
2010-02-06, 07:20 PM
All Android phones aren't the same. Just like all Blackberry phones or iPhones, or Palm phones aren't the same. Build quality, carrier, and software upgradeability all factor into potential choices. This thread is about the Nexus One; a specific phone.

I won't turn this into a discussion about why I refuse to get a phone with Rogers, so I'll leave it at that.

I really do hope that Wind officially starts carrying this phone, but I was hoping to hear from some people who decided to import it, or have had a chance to play with an imported Nexus One.
Well obviously the Nexus One is superior to the Dream, Magic, or Eve, but if the N1 can't get 3G on Rogers, any other Android phone is more useful..

randdon
2010-02-06, 08:35 PM
Just beware of Googles terms of purchase ... never seen a "manufacturer" add a cancellation fee before.

TorontoColin
2010-02-07, 03:40 AM
Doesn't that only apply to phones supplemented by a contract? If so then it's the same as Amazon.com or Futureshop or anywhere else.

Since Wind doesn't do contracts and I don't think Mobilicity will either, though we don't know for sure yet, it would be a non-issue here.

Getting 3G on Rogers is only more useful if your carrier is Rogers. Even if the phone somehow supported 3G on Rogers as well as Wind's AWS, it would still only roam on the 2G GSM/Edge network. Personally, as I am very interested in switching to Wind (or possibly Mobilicity) I'm very happy to see a popular high-end phone on their network. If I were to switch any time soon it would be with an N1, I just don't want the hassle of importing.

BGY11
2010-02-07, 06:22 AM
Doesn't that only apply to phones supplemented by a contract? If so then it's the same as Amazon.com or Futureshop or anywhere else.

I see a potential loophole: First, a quote from the terms & conditions that mention the ERF: LINK (http://www.google.com/phone/static/en_US-terms_of_sale.html)

You agree to pay Google an equipment subsidy recovery fee (the "Equipment Recovery Fee") equal to the difference between the full price of the Nexus handheld device without service plan and the price you paid for the Nexus handheld device if you cancel your wireless plan prior to 120 days of continuous wireless service.

Thing is, WIND sells phones for a bit less than the traditional "no-contract" price - with the provision that you need to activate the phone on their network. Sure, after 30 days they'll give you an unlock code (and you aren't under contract), but it's still technically less than a handset not tied to any service plan. Honestly, considering that Google is charging this fee in addition to any ETFs charged by wireless carriers, I could easily see them taking advantage of this loophole. Sure runs counter to their "Don't Be Evil" mantra.

Of course, all this is pure speculation until the time comes when Google/WIND announce a partnership and publish a ToS agreement for Canadians.

LabbyRoad
2010-02-26, 04:46 PM
In case anyone is still wondering at this late stage, the Nexus one does work in 3G mode on Wind Mobile. I purchased one off contract and coverage around Toronto seems to be pretty good any place in the city that I've been lately.

There is some additional configuration required for an off-contract phone but the guy at the Wind kiosk helped me out with that.

chapsrl
2010-02-26, 09:09 PM
FCC down south (USA) just approved a version that's compatible with the AT&T network and would also be compatible with the Bell/Telus HSPA network. At least according to the specs it is.

http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=16159&news=Google+Nexus+One+Android+OS+2.1+gPhone+ATT

Might be something that you would have to buy from ebay or a relative/friend in the USA. At least until Google starts to ship to us in Canada.

I really want one of these phones too. Can't wait until its available.

chapsrl
2010-02-26, 09:24 PM
This is a better source with links to FCC docs that practically confirms a Bell/Telus version...

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30686_3-10444986-266.html

FCC link:

https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=953214&fcc_id=%27NM8PB99110%27

Some pretty compelling evidence.

Patience is the key!