: Unlocking Phone at end of contract

CrazyCDN
2010-02-03, 05:00 PM
Question ... do Canadian mobile companies have an obligation to provide the unlock code for your phone at the end of the contract?

I heard that this is the case in the US but consumers don't know about it so don't ask.

Given that the market is opening in Canada and cell phone handset as well as number portability is becoming easier I'm wondering if this is something that Canadians would look forward to?

cm023
2010-02-03, 05:43 PM
Rogers/Fido - "Unlock" is a dirty never spoken word.
Bell/Telus - $75 (I don't know after how long)
WIND - After 3 Months of Paid Service they will Unlock your Device.

Long story short the following companies have devices that you could realistically swap SIM cards with (when unlocked).

ROGERS-BELL-TELUS
850/1900 mHz
HSPA ONLY (3G or 3G+)
3G Devices form AT&T will also work

WIND-MOBILICITY(DAVE)
2100 mHz AWS
HSPA (3G)
3G Devices from T-Mobile USA will also work

The Following networks have no devices that are common between our major Canadian providers.

Bell/Telus - CDMA/iDen
Rogers/Fido - 2G GSM (AT&T/T-Mobile 2G Devices WILL WORK)
Public Mobile's yet to be launched CDMA network.

I think that explanation is going to solve alot of questions in the future as more providers get up and running with their new networks.

nursedude
2010-02-04, 09:52 AM
AFAIK: None of the major players will activate another providers phone on their own network. SIM cards may be a different thing but it has been a while since I've sold phones.

CrazyCDN
2010-02-04, 10:05 AM
AFAIK: None of the major players will activate another providers phone on their own network. SIM cards may be a different thing but it has been a while since I've sold phones.
That's the thing though. As soon as the phone is unlocked it is no longer tied/associated with a phone company.

Disappointing that phone companies charge for this service after the contract is completed (or bought out). Do they really need more money for that phone?

cm023
2010-02-04, 10:42 AM

Bell and Telus are encouraging costumers to bring over their unlocked HSPA phones to use on their new network.

see http://www.bell.ca/support/PrsCSrvWls_COAM.page?tab=2#0

With their CDMA network they do not allow outside phones because setting them up to work is much more complicated then the HSPA network.

Rogers doesn't have a problem with a person buying a SIM and throwing it in their unlocked phone, right now they have a "SIM Starter Kit" on sale for the Olympics.

Regardless things are starting to change in Canada with regards to Mobile Phones.

jcab
2010-02-16, 11:16 AM
Ok I might fall in a grey zone area here, I hope I will not break any forum rules, but If I do just say it gently, I mean no harm nor have bad intentions.

I bougth the Rugby from Rogers this weekend. I had to call the CS department, and I bluntly asked them if, at the end of a contract, or when we buy a phone without contract, they can give us the subsidy unlock key.

In France in comparaison, they have (the cellphone service providers) to give them by law. In the US, I don't know, but someone told me that once the phone has been paid they normally give it on request.

The CSR told me that Rogers just won't and no regulations force them too. And when asked as a "servcie to the customer" could they do it, the answer was a blatant no.

At the store, the guy that sold it to me (I won't say who or where to protect him from retalliation) told me bluntly that the only way was to debrand or unlock the phone from a 3rd party. And the Manufacturer will not be able to help.

So That's the only way, at least with Rogers and Fido, you will have a phone unlocked.

Theses services are never guarentee, and for some phones, risky for the phone

timlocke
2010-02-23, 11:50 AM
Any Chinese mall in or around TO will have someone who can unlock a basic GSM phone for a few bucks.

I'm with the Wind people on this, I'd rather pay for my phone with no subsidy and then be able to buy a package of airtime and facilities separately.

TKG26
2010-02-23, 11:53 AM
I unlocked my Diamond myself last year... ITs a pretty painless procedure.. For Windows phones anyway.

on telus cdma