: Looking for a good long-distance plan and phone

Chefigo
2010-02-02, 05:54 PM
I just got offered a new job in Canada and it involves a lot of traveling within North America and sometimes in Europe and Asia as well. I am new to the whole Canadian mobile phones scene and was wondering what phone and plan to go for that would suit my traveling requirements. I don't care much for mobile access to the internet but I do need a good voice and text option with good coverage in BC interior region as well as Vancouver Island. I'm not very well informed about phones with frequencies compatible in different countries. Any suggestions?

outinthornhill
2010-02-02, 06:40 PM
You really don't have much choice given the BC interior and Vancouver Island are important. It's Telus Mobility and look for a North American LD add-on package.

If you were going to be in Vancouver and Victoria most of the time, Rogers and Bell would be options, but coverage will will not be as good "away".

Telus offers both CDMA and HSPA (GSM) handsets. The HSPA network is new and you need to verify its available where you will be in the interior. There are still some gaps and service issues as it's less than3 months old. If you choose HSPA, Telus and Bell share the same network so then it's a matter of who has the best prices and plan. All three will offer you discounts if you combine cableTV, internet and wireless.

You will also hear about new providers like Wind and Mobilicity but their services are limited to the cities and you will be doing a lot of roaming on Roger's network - see about about less coverage in the interior. Probably not what you want.

Chefigo
2010-02-02, 06:57 PM
thanks a lot for your post. That was useful. I'm in the process of calling Fido, Telus and Bell to compare plans but they obviously won't say that their coverage is bad. I'm also deciding on a handset. Thanks a lot though.

outinthornhill
2010-02-02, 08:04 PM
Fido's coverage is the same as Rogers - same company, same network, different pllans and prices.

To add to the confusion, Koodo is the same as Telus, Solo and Virgin Mobile are the same as Bell. They are the "discount" brands owned by Telus and Bell repsectively. Generally a bit cheaper but not as many options when it comes to plans but worth looking into if you are considering pre-paid as well.