: WIFI on blackberry's

maximv1
2010-01-22, 08:42 PM
Hi everyone. This is my first post and i hope I am posting in the correct section. I am thinking of getting a Blackberry with WIFI. I have been told by the Bell employee that the WIFI will run on the roaming portion of the phone and will be chargable. I currnetly have an HTC touch that does not charge for the browsing I do. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it.

congo
2010-01-22, 10:27 PM
To the best of my knowledge, this is not true. If your BB finds a WiFi network that you are able to connect to then it can use that for surfing. However, there are some apps that while they appear to be using WiFi, there is some data being sent over the BIS/BES server and you will be charged for that. One that comes to mind is iSkoot, an application that allows you to connect to your Skype account.

Congo

MTL_1225
2010-01-23, 04:22 PM
Is there a way to disable cell data and have everything pass through using Wi-Fi?

congo
2010-01-23, 04:36 PM
Funny you asked...

When WiFi is active, the icon is brightly lit.

I downloaded the CHUM radio app the other day and was playing a station today. I was concerned whether the app was using the dataplan or my WiFi. To test, I started the app while the WiFi was on. As soon as I disabled the WiFi, the station stopped playing so I knew it was using WiFi. So I'm prety sure that as long as the WiFi icon is solid, you are using it.

I thought the internet browser let you set WiFi as the preferred or only connection if you want but I can't find that setting at the moment. Maybe somebody else can answer that.

Tomato9876
2010-01-30, 01:00 AM
With Telus, when editing my plan online, I'm able to add different "services", one of which being a data block, which is free of charge. Bell likely has a similar option.