: Worth fighting for Unlimited Weekends?

Big Ben
2010-01-11, 01:06 PM
So thanks to some help from people on this forum, I've decided to go with TbayTel as my cellphone service provider for the next year.

There are two plans that really spark my interest:

The Digital 350 - $35/month

350 Minutes (excluding long distance)
Caller ID and Voicemail INCLUDED
Unlimited text for an extra $5
Call Forwarding INCLUDED
Call Waiting and 3-way calling INCLUDED
Unlimited Weekends for an extra $10

Canadian 250 - $39.95/month

250 Minutes FREE Long Distance to anywhere in Canada
Caller ID Included
Voicemail for an extra $5
Unlimited Text for an extra $5
Call Forwarding N/A
Call Waiting and 3-way calling INCLUDED
Unlimited Weekends N/A

Any plan from Tbaytel allows for free canada wide roaming, so I don't have to worry about being stuck to their small North Western Ontario coverage map.

Im having a hard time deciding which plan to go with - I call a decent amount and for the summer, my cellphone would be my only phone. If I had the free long distance I definitely would use it enough to make it worth my while, and if I didn't have it, I could still get by just fine. Which plan would you go with?

My main question is the Unlimited weekends: On my first choice, it's an extra $10, but with Telus it is a feature that is included (however telus' $35 plan only includes 200 minutes). On the long distance plan, I'm only getting 250 minutes and unlimited weekends isn't even available. Is it worth my time to try and fight with them to give me the weekends for free or just pay the $10?

outinthornhill
2010-01-11, 09:26 PM
Have you considered or priced adding a "national favourites" option; unlimited anytime calling (incoming and outgoing) to five or ten frequently called numbers anywhere in Canada? If your calls will be to a limited number of persons, such an option might answer both your need to more minutes (calls are not charged against your allotment) and for long distance. I think all the majors let you changed your favourite numbers once per billing cycle.

DSgamby
2010-01-11, 09:59 PM
The have a Smart Plan that for 34.95 you get

mobilityTime
More

Nationwide anytime minutes
FREE local evenings and weekends
starting at 8pm**
(excludes long distance)
Free Caller ID, Free Voicemail, Call Forwarding, Free Call Waiting and Free 3- Way Calling
Text Messaging*** 300 FREE, 4.95 for unlimited

http://tbaytel.net/media/mobilityTime_Plans.pdf

Big Ben
2010-01-12, 11:45 AM
The have a Smart Plan that for 34.95 you get

mobilityTime
More

Nationwide anytime minutes
FREE local evenings and weekends
starting at 8pm**
(excludes long distance)
Free Caller ID, Free Voicemail, Call Forwarding, Free Call Waiting and Free 3- Way Calling
Text Messaging*** 300 FREE, 4.95 for unlimited

http://tbaytel.net/media/mobilityTime_Plans.pdf
hmm I don't know how I missed that one! Thanks for the tip. I guess I may have been looking at an old chart for plans.

It's not a bad option!

outinthornhill
2010-01-12, 04:34 PM
Rather cute how T'Bay Tel uses the phrase "nationwide anytime minutes" and then "excludes long distance" in the fine print. I know they mean no roaming fees in Canada, but that's been the standard here for years (unless you are with WIND or City Fido). When the other companies use "national favourites" they mean no long distance. Consumer beware.

The $39 plan that does include LD is attractive compared to what most carriers charge. It doesn't mention the cost of adding early evenings/unlimited weekends but it may be available. It's almost impossible to put every plan and option on a chart and keep it legible.

Big Ben
2010-01-13, 12:36 AM
Rather cute how T'Bay Tel uses the phrase "nationwide anytime minutes" and then "excludes long distance" in the fine print. I know they mean no roaming fees in Canada, but that's been the standard here for years (unless you are with WIND or City Fido). When the other companies use "national favourites" they mean no long distance. Consumer beware.

The $39 plan that does include LD is attractive compared to what most carriers charge. It doesn't mention the cost of adding early evenings/unlimited weekends but it may be available. It's almost impossible to put every plan and option on a chart and keep it legible.
In fairness, it makes sense when you look at TbayTel's coverage map of where there OWN network is, and the fact that they used to charge for canada-wide roaming. So for newcomers like myself, I didn't know what to expect since they aren't a big franchise, just a small Northern Ontario locally owned company.

The $39 plan IS attractive, I agree. Just not sure it's worth giving up the free voicemail, call forwarding and the extra 100 minutes that come with the Mobility More package.