: in a perfect world how about this world ?

bjh
2010-01-06, 05:44 PM
I have recently acquired a rogers data stick c/w data plan.

I also have an old rogers cell phone that is due for retirement. The accounts for these are separate at the moment. (Long story)

Seems to me that in a perfect world, I'd be able to buy a phone appliance, into which I could plug my internet stick to get connected, allowing me to bring the two accounts down to just one.

Does such a thing exist in this world ? Could I do this by swapping the SIM card from stick into a phone on the fly?

Thanks,

Brian H.

smootherator
2010-01-06, 05:47 PM
see...that would be good for you and not for rogers...they have shareholders and profits to worry about...such a thing would never exist or it would cost the equivalent of both services if it did.

Arthur Dent
2010-01-06, 06:21 PM
Does such a thing exist in this world ? Could I do this by swapping the SIM card from stick into a phone on the fly?

Most probably not, because you probably don't have voice enabled on the account for the data stick. You can try that without any risk, and if you do, please let us know if you can at least browse the Internet from the phone.

The opposite is most likely possible. That is, if you have data plan on your phone account. But most likely you don't, so you will be charged exorbitant per use rates for data, so don't try this at home.

bjh
2010-01-06, 08:35 PM
probably not, because you probably don't have voice enabled on the account for the data stick

Well paying for the voice on the data stick account would be OK, so long as Rogers isn't too unreasonable about the cost. (Rogers not too unreasonable, ya right!?)

Brian H.

Paolo
2010-01-06, 09:52 PM
i have unlimited voice and unlimited data on my sim, i swap my sim to and from my phone into my rocket stick all the time. i dont see the problem. this is old news

GSMfan
2010-01-07, 03:14 AM
i have unlimited voice and unlimited data on my sim, i swap my sim to and from my phone into my rocket stick all the time. i dont see the problem. this is old news
So...essentially the carrier does not recognize (or does not care) which and what device your sim is plugged into? (I guess I'm still curious whether I could take my sim from my dumb phone, which has the cheap unlimited data/browsing option, and plug it into a smart phone and enjoy the same browsing/data without having to sign up for a pricey smart phone data plan)

Paolo
2010-01-07, 09:52 AM
be carefull, you have (dumb phone) unlimited Web Browsing, I have Unlimited INTERNET, its different. My unlimited internet, is backawards compatible with Any phone (except a black berry) where as yours is limited to WAP-Only devices. if you think about it for a second, for what your trying to acomplish, you may need a Internet Data plan, which will then be backwards compatible with your WAP devices. Got it?

Make this clear, there are 3 different types of internet plans, wap, internet ,and blackberry.