: Can you use a smartphone without a data plan?

Francois Caron
2009-12-24, 02:47 PM
I'm about to find out very shortly.

Il5uQ0P0YZA

I can tell you right away, this thing ain't cheap. $650 American.

But maybe. Just maybe. This phone might be the incumbent killer we were all waiting for.

jean luc picard
2009-12-24, 02:50 PM
i use my iphone with no data plan. its pay as you go.

Francois Caron
2009-12-24, 03:53 PM
PAYG? Yikes! Should I even ask how much it costs you per MB?

I'll be trying to use the phone's data capabilities without having to resort to my provider's data network, which will be easy since the phone isn't even set up to access it. Best way to avoid accidental connections.

I don't have much of a choice. A single megabyte with Fido's PAYG costs fifty bucks!

JamesK
2009-12-24, 04:14 PM
I have often wondered why data costs so much. A GSM phone call runs about 13 Kb/s, so an 10 minute call will use almost 1 MB, but we certainly don't pay $50 for thoses 10 minutes.

Arthur Dent
2009-12-24, 04:46 PM
By imposing prohibitive prices on pay-per-use data, providers want to you to switch to not so overpriced, but bringing way more revenue data plans.
As for using a smartphone without data plan, it's always possible, but it is highly recommended in that case to call your provider and ask them to disable your access to cellular data. Otherwise you are in for a world of pain in case of accidental data usage.

Arthur Dent
2009-12-24, 04:52 PM
This phone might be the incumbent killer we were all waiting for.

And, just like all the other "killers" before it, will only make the "incumbent" stronger. ;)

The way I see it, different phones with different platforms only make the mass user more inclined to choose the security of an iPhone. The same way that all Windows "killers" over the decades led to its unchallenged current world domination.

Francois Caron
2009-12-24, 05:07 PM
This phone has both Wi-Fi and Skype capabilities. I'll soon find out how easy it is to use the N900 as a provider-free phone. It could save a lot of people a lot of money, especially if you can reach another Skype enabled handset on a Wi-Fi hotspot.

BTW, TalkMobile PAYG in the UK charges 30p (50 cents) for 25 MB per day on the days that you use it. After that first 25 MB, they charge you 1 ($1.67) for each additional MB. If you use less than 25 MB however, they charge you less.

See what happens when there's true competition, and not the illusion of competition? :)

Stargazer
2009-12-31, 01:08 AM
PAYG? Yikes! Should I even ask how much it costs you per MB?

I'll be trying to use the phone's data capabilities without having to resort to my provider's data network, which will be easy since the phone isn't even set up to access it. Best way to avoid accidental connections.

I don't have much of a choice. A single megabyte with Fido's PAYG costs fifty bucks!
My family has been using smartphones without data plans for years--also on Rogers Pay As You Go. Data access is not accessible by default and we've never asked Rogers to add it.

I even experimented with my wife's pre-paid SIM card in my new smartphone last week and when I tried to access data, I got a message from Rogers saying that data access was not available with that account. The only way for the phone to get data is through wifi, so there's definitely no chance of "accidents." :)

Francois Caron
2009-12-31, 08:54 AM
My initial tests with the phone are revealing that it IS possible to live without a data plan -- and even a voice plan -- if you have a Skype account and access to a Wi-Fi connection.

There are however a few issues with the phone, such as...

No. You'll all have to wait for the full review. :p