: Quick question about HDTV to PC

mediachick
2009-12-23, 04:03 PM
Hi all!

I'm slowly getting all of this sorted in my head, but I'm still a little confused. I want to get my digital cable signal to my PC. Now, I have an older WinTV set up that I haven't used in a long time and I'm assuming I need to get something new for HDTV.

First, I don't have HDTV, just a regular digital PVR from Rogers. My thinking, though, is that the network channels are broadcast in HDTV, so having an HDTV tuner for my PC will allow me to capture them in HDTV....yes?

I'm also reading about problems with signals in Canada being scrambled unless you take the signal out of the digital box. But, the above would still apply, wouldn't it?

Is there a certain type of set up that I need to get for this?

Thank you for any help!

Cyclism
2009-12-23, 04:06 PM
Hello and welcome to the forums.

You cannot receive Rogers HD without first subscribing to the service, and using a Rogers authorized HD STB.

See this FAQ - Can I get Digital Cable (and HD) Using My QAM Tuner?

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=32271

hugh
2009-12-23, 04:07 PM
I don't have HDTV, just a regular digital PVR from Rogers. My thinking, though, is that the network channels are broadcast in HDTV, so having an HDTV tuner for my PC will allow me to capture them in HDTV....yes?

No. An HDTV tuner will only let you get OTA signals. Rogers signals are encrypted and require a digital box. This has been answered numerous times so search the Rogers and HTPC forum for existing threads for any additional questions.

jean luc picard
2009-12-23, 04:09 PM
well i have no idea what your goal is but you need an atsc tuner to capture ota digital channels (many hd). to capture from a cable box you can use pretty much any capture card. to capture hd from a hd equipped cable box you need the hauppage hd-pvr.