: OTA Station Status: Seattle, Tacoma, Bellingham WA

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

Alex1978
2010-09-02, 03:01 PM
You've got to bear in mind that KVOS's ERP is 580 kW and K24IC-D is only 15 kW. The KVOS signal is almost 40 times more powerful.

15 kW is still great for an LPTV translator station like K24IC-D. It's more powerful than some of the network affiliates on Mt. Seymour in Vancouver and it's the maximum power the FCC will allow for an LPTV station.

I'm impressed, reading this forum, with its coverage. Zapperman sees it all the way out in Chilliwack B.C. and you see it all the way down in Marysville. That's really cool for an LPTV station.

I've noticed an improvement in K24IC since the upgrade too. I still have to aim my antenna here in Bellingham, but the "sweet spot" where it comes in is bigger. With KVOS and KBCB the signal comes in no matter which way the antenna is pointed.

Rick Dude
2010-09-06, 10:06 AM
Being in Port Moody, I am not in the best location to tell what is happening with Bellingham transmitters. But, I have not been able to receive KBCB 19.1 (Shop NBC) for about a day and this station usually comes in faithfully. The signal quality is showing zero on one of my receivers. Is KBCB 19.1 off air for the modifications to carry an HD sub-channel?

KVOS still more or less received here and K24IC quality level not high enough to pull in.

4DTV HD
2010-09-06, 11:52 AM
KBCB 19.1 appears to be Off Air.

I usually get 99 signal, currently 0.

Rick Dude
2010-09-06, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the confirmation. Let's hope this is to add the HD mux.

And I was thinking of buying the 65" TV. LOL ;)

danbcman
2010-09-06, 02:01 PM
I noticed it was off at around 6pm last night but figured they were doing some testing and equipment changes but this is getting to be as long as when they added 24.1 and 24.2 but even then it came back on once in a while. I will try and give a call being a long week end it may be closed.

I called and left a message when I hear something back I will post the info.

Rick Dude
2010-09-07, 12:48 PM
The long down time for KBCB suggests equipment failure. Looks like being a long weekend no one came to repair it. LOL

Inserting a mux should not mean a long transmitter downtime - a matter of a few hours at most if everything was made ready beforehand. It is introduced into the data stream and should require minimal adjustments after that before the transmitter is brought up again.

Alex1978
2010-09-07, 07:48 PM
I spoke with their GM today and he confirmed that a part failed in the KBCB transmitter and that they'll be off the air until tomorrow or the next day when the part arrives on Orcas Island.

danbcman
2010-09-07, 07:56 PM
The system was shut down by a failure of the cooling fan at least the rest of the system did what it was supose to. To go to Orcas is a near all day event.

mieko
2010-09-09, 08:00 PM
Aw... I was hoping they were changing to different programming other than friggin Shopping Channel. Another Retro channel at least would be nice.

danbcman
2010-09-09, 08:34 PM
Soon I am sure there will an addition but for now it was just a cooling fan that bit the bullet and was replaced and who knows maybe they had time to a little extra work on that too while they were there?

danbcman
2010-09-13, 04:39 PM
Is anyone else getting audio from one speaker left ( side ) only and no center channel on KBCB 19.1?
And No center channel and very weak to none on the left channel on KBTC 24. and 24.1 all other stations are fine on the same system and the same results are on my tv and tv and amp.

vcrite
2010-09-24, 01:18 PM
MHZ Worldview isn't available from K24IC-D (aka 28.2 subchannel of KBTC). In its place is a station message on screen stating that this channel is not available. I sent KBTC an email asking for details and here's the response:Correspondence with: programming at kbtc.org

We really like Worldview too and felt that it offered unique programs. Unfortunately Worldview is not monitoring their content, and their delivery is inconsistent. Nor did they address our concerns in a way that gave us any confidence.

It was a really tough decision to pull the program stream, but we have a responsibility to our viewers and to federal broadcast regulations.

If Worldview can assure us that we donít need to worry about content or delivery, we will definitely consider re-broadcasting the program stream. So, itís not completely off the table.

Thank you so much for writing. In the meantime please tell us your favorite shows from Worldview because, if nothing else, we will be looking to acquire some of the programs to air on 28.1.

Again, thank you!
Sherri Stanton
KBTC

danbcman
2010-09-24, 02:02 PM
Well sad as it is for now there is one less station for us how ever something will come back on it if Worldview does not return. I spoke with KBTC a few mins ago and put in my programm choices. So even in a loss situation they are really trying to give the viewers what they want as best they can. Two thumbs up for KBTC. :)

levibluewa
2010-09-24, 06:48 PM
What was the issue with content? It couldn't possibly be any more offensive than the trash FOX runs.

downbeat
2010-09-24, 08:34 PM
I think it's more to do with MHZ not monitoring if their content is making it up to satellite uplinks. Noticed this first-hand last week when visiting my parents out east: Their local PBS station was showing a "technical difficulties" slide instead of actual MHZ content.

danbcman
2010-09-24, 10:53 PM
KBTC Worldview 24.2 well the guide info was incorrect so many times it was terrible trying to catch or record a program. I forwarded that info to KBTC and I think that may be part of the troubles, the email I recieved back was greatfull for the screen grab as it showed something different than what was on the guide for that day and time. KBTC followed up on that within 2 hours of sending the email to them. :)

levibluewa
2010-09-27, 06:44 PM
off air. Transmitter failure. Back in a few hours, unless they need parts!

vcrite
2010-09-27, 09:58 PM
28.2 MHZ Worldview feed has been restored on K24IC-D

From KBTC

Good news! We've worked some issues out and will be airing most of the Worldview program stream on 28.2. You should have just started receiving it again!

Rick Dude
2010-09-28, 11:46 AM
With the luck the broadcasters are having with unmanned transmitters - KBCB and now KVOS - maybe time to have a guy live on the site on Orcas Island. ;)

danbcman
2010-09-28, 12:51 PM
There is actually a fellow on the island that KBCB uses for resets from power issues but I think KVOS has to send staff over every time it goes past a reset issue very very costly to send staff over for iether outfit.